What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: DR. Strangelove 40th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
We have compared the recent US 40th Anniversary Edition of Kubrick's Dr Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb against the UK Special Edition that has been around for almost 3 years. You can find the full, detailed comparison review here.

quote:

Snippet:

Dr. Strangelove is a masterpiece; a satirical comedy classic that deserves a place in every DVD collection. But is it worth upgrading to the new ‘40th Anniversary Edition’ if you have the previous ‘Collector‘s Edition‘? I’d say yes. The new video transfer is a treat and the remixed audio is subtly effective. The new extras are informative, but focus more on certain things (the nuclear arms race; Peter Sellers’ rise to fame) than the film at hand.

Thankfully, and unusually, all the material from the previous DVD has been included here, including a very good 46-minute documentary, so the new extras and these original features combine to make a pleasing package. That said, is there now any reason to hold on to the older release? Kubrick fans may want to keep that DVD for it’s multi-aspect ratio presentation (it’s part of my Kubrick box set anyway!), but for those who haven’t yet bought a copy of the film I’d recommend that they head straight for the new edition.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for posting that, Chris. You guys did a great job with that review.

richardWI

Second Unit
quote:There's been more of that in this thread than on that dvd.

Hey, at least you don't have to pay a good chunk of change for it here!
biggrin.gif

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Im not bothered in the least by the 'pontifying'-at any rate, I purchased mine at Costco: $19.99

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
What's the difference between "pontificating" and "pointing out the obvious" anyway?
smile.gif

I was pleased with this disc in every aspect -- restored picture, theatrical aspect ratio, original theatrical soundtrack, and extras, old & new. I would be pleased to see this film get the Lowry Digital Images or Ultra Resolution treatment someday, but until then, I am happy to consider this disc the definitive Strangelove.

I never thought I'd say this, but: "Three cheers for Columbia!"

EDIT: When I first saw this film, years ago, I worked at a pizza shop, and whenever someone asked for a cup of water, I would give them the whole "seven tenths of this earth's surface is water" routine. :)

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I would sure like to hear from somebody qualified to answer the question to what level of wear determines the disposal of an original camera negative!! Was the O.N of "Lawrence of Arabia" not as bad, or worse? Then it is a miracle that RAH got to it in time before 'that' person made a decision on whether to destroy it or not.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
quote:When I first saw this film, years ago, I worked at a pizza shop, and whenever someone asked for a cup of water, I would give them the whole "seven tenths of this earth's surface is water" routine.

I love it when Mandrake is trying to butter him up and says, "You might even say I'm a water man, Jack!" Classic quote.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks