What's new

Press Release HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time March 2018 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
The Seven-Ups for me, which I waited since I heard there's a new 4k scan.
I haven't seen the other films, but I have so many films already in my wishlist to buy, that I don't think I'll add more.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've seen all 4 films. The New Centurions is a turgid bore, The Seven Ups is trash (and not the good kind), UNDERWORLD U.S.A. is subpar Fuller. I like Don't Bother To Knock but the DVD will do me just fine unless the TT has something special going for it (like a Redman/Kirgo commentary :)). And yes yes, fanboys of the first three films, I know it's just my opinion. Who else's would I be giving? ;)
Sorry, but I'm a little too old for being called a fanboy and that's my only quibble with you on this matter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Funny how the same announcement can get both of these responses. :) And for ME personally, it's just Don't Bother to Knock.
To me, it's a normal outcome and is expected when it comes to the subjective matter of film appreciation.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've seen all 4 films. The New Centurions is a turgid bore, The Seven Ups is trash (and not the good kind), UNDERWORLD U.S.A. is subpar Fuller. I like Don't Bother To Knock but the DVD will do me just fine unless the TT has something special going for it (like a Redman/Kirgo commentary :)). And yes yes, fanboys of the first three films, I know it's just my opinion. Who else's would I be giving? ;)

I don't mind you expressing an opinion I disagree with. That why we're all here! At least you admit it's only your opinion, unlike some who don't recognise the difference between their opinion and a hard, incontrovertible fact.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but I'm a little too old for being called a fanboy and that's my only quibble with you on this matter.

I'd venture to guess I'm older than you Robert and I wear the fanboy label proudly. I'm a John Wayne fanboy, I'm a Bette Davis fanboy, I'm an Agatha Christie fanboy, I'm a Julia Roberts fanboy, I'm a Douglas Sirk fanboy, I'm a ...... well, you get the picture :) But I understand how some resent the implication as there are certain fanboys (Kubrick, Christopher Nolan etc.) who look upon their "hero" as God (as in Kubrick is a great film maker therefore all his films are great) and will strike down anyone who says otherwise. They give us fanboys a bad rep.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Thomas T Quote:
Ah well, (sigh) maybe next month.:(

PMF Post:
Huh? What? Not even George C. Scott and Stacy Keach?

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Huh? What? Not even George C. Scott and Stacy Keach?

Especially Stacy Keach! :P He's the reason I tossed my DVD of Doc into the "trade in" bag. I like Scott a lot but his acting is all over the place from great (Patton, The Hustler) to good (Islands In The Stream, Petulia, The Flim Flam Man) to stinky (They Might Be Giants, Day Of The Dolphin). His work in The New Centurions leaves me cold.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
My solution is to not saying anything at all if you do not like the line-up of titles. But it is the internet; people love to throw in a negative opinion so they can feed off the responses.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
people love to throw in a negative opinion so they can feed off the responses.

An alternative opinion can often give way give way to interesting conversations, we feed off each other. Is there a more boring thread than a bunch of "I can't wait to get this", "I've been waiting forever for this", "My all time favorite film", "Thank you Criterion/Twilight Time/Kino Lorber/Warner Archives", etc. etc. etc.? After about the 10th gushing, I just stop visiting the page.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I’ve never seen Don’t Bother To Knock but after a quick search I may have to get that one.
You may already have the DVD if you have Marilyn Monroe The Diamond Collection Volume II
Marilyn-Monroe-The-Diamond-Collection-Boxed-Set-Volume.jpg

The TT version will of course be an upgrade ... the FOX DVD has been included in other box sets and is apparently available separately ... definitely not a musical ;) ... not that there's anything bad about that.

I'm sure if the Forever Marilyn blu-ray set sold better, FOX would have released this on blu-ray themselves ...

Thank goodness that Twilight Time will be releasing this... :drum: on blu-ray

Last edited:

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I’ve never seen Don’t Bother To Knock but after a quick search I may have to get that one.
IMHO If Marilyn is in it it's worth getting regardless if the film itself is good or not. However DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK happens to be an excellent film. Also the cast is priceless - Monroe, Widmark and Cook Jr. all in the same film.

You may already have the DVD if you have Marilyn Monroe The Diamond Collection Volume II
Marilyn-Monroe-The-Diamond-Collection-Boxed-Set-Volume.jpg
These collections were to first films I purchased myself as a kid (they were released as 1 big box here in Sweden).

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My solution is to not saying anything at all if you do not like the line-up of titles. But it is the internet; people love to throw in a negative opinion so they can feed off the responses.
For clarity; I'm into all four.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wonder how members would respond to a TT release of Elia Kazan's "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"?
The 4-BD set of "Kazan at Fox - Volume 2" is now out-of-print and going for upwards of $150.00 with three other titles.
Of that set, "Viva Zapata" and "Wild River" are now available separately;:)
while "Man on a Tightrope" remains MIA; with the exception of a Spanish Bootleg.:angry:
Yes, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" AND "Man on a Tightrope";
after all, there's Tea for Two and then there's Two for TT, too.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I wonder how members would respond to a TT release of Elia Kazan's "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"?

I'd buy it, just to have in high definition Leon Shamroy's agile camera movements. This film was Elia Kazan's first as director and he left the visual aspects of the film to Shamroy who responded with some real virtuoso cinematography including, if I remember rightly - I haven't seen this film for at least twenty years - a lot of deep focus shots.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks