What's new

HT speakers pop during Lord of the Rings (1 Viewer)

John Carl

Auditioning
Here's my story:
I bought a Kenwood HTB-705 home theater system. I watched Lord of the Rings on it and at certain explosive scenes the right front speaker makes a loud popping sound (like a firecracker).
I called Best Buy where I purchased the system and they told me to make sure the front speaker wires were cut the same length. After checking that I decided to pack up the whole system and return it for a full exchange. I hooked up the new system and watched Collateral Damage at about -25dB.
The speakers sounded great. Then I popped in LOTR to see how it would sound and the front right speaker make the popping sound again and the volume was only set at -32dB.
Please help me. I called Kenwood tech support and they said that I could possibly have a bad DVD. Any suggestions?

John Gates

Second Unit
John,

It sounds like your speakers are bottoming out. The drivers have reached their excursion limits (their mechanical operating maximums). LOTR is a very dynamic film, and I get the same thing from my subs in certain spots.

If you can set your HTB speakers to "small" that might help. If they're already set to small, you're probably stuck with either upgrading your speakers or watching LOTR at a lower volume.

Not sure if bottoming is the issue, but from your description, that's what it sounds like.

John G

John Carl

Auditioning
John Gates,

The speakers are set to small so that's not the problem. Thanks for the reply. Can that popping sound cause damage to the speaker.

John

John Gates

Second Unit
John,

If they are bottoming out, they will be damaged eventually. If the popping is coming from another source... who knows? Depends on what is causing the popping.

You could still be bottoming, even if set to small, but I'd think that would be unlikely. I might suggest swapping out a different set of speakers (borrow some from somebody) and see if the problem remains. If so, it might be your amp section clipping or wiring problems in the amp section. If the prob goes away, you know it's a design or manufacture defect in the speaker.

You sure the popping noise isn't coming from the sub?

John G

Javon_W

Agent
my HTD's level 3 towers popped also during LOTR but i do not have a sub and they are set to large... my father is going to give me his klipsch sub when he buys his SVS sub so im waiting until then

John Carl

Auditioning
John Gates,

After playing the DVD again, I noticed you were right. The popping sound is coming from the sub. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. What does this mean?
By the way: it is not a powered sub.

Thanks, John

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Setting your speakers to small only enables the crossover slope. It doesn't eliminate the bass totally. It is a "Slope" not a "wall" or "cliff". Your receiver most likely has a 6dB/octave slope which isn't much. It helps attenuate the bass below the crossover frequency but doesn't block it. If you turn it up loud enough you can still bottom the drivers.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
I called Best Buy where I purchased the system and they told me to make sure the front speaker wires were cut the same length.
Just when I though I've heard it all from Best Buy, here comes on of the most stupid asinine comments I have heard in a long time.
What the H**l does equal length cables to the front speakers have to do with the price of apples in China?

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Watch LOTR at low volume or buy a powered sub or ???.
When a driver bottoms out, its reaching the limit of its excursion. Like literally snapping at the extremes. Lowering the volume will work, the other alternative is a sub that can produce those frequencies at those SPL's.

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
"the other alternative is a sub that can produce those frequencies at those SPL's"

= Buy an SVS ... Trust me, you won't regret it ...

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
My SVS CS 20-39 will literally rock the house during LOTR. I have the original driver and managed to bottom it out once with the volume up pretty far. The most bass-intense moment in the movie seems to be the scene where Frodo looks into the mirror and sees visions. After Sauron's eye appeared in the mirror, right before Frodo moves away, I got a healthy clack out of the sub. Took the level down slightly and no more clack. Driver upgrade time. :D

DonJ

Second Unit
Now what are my options
I dont mean to be an a**hole but take it back. there's a saying you get what ya payfore and really I would just save and get something worth having. I Know it sucks to hear I'm at the lower end also but I saved and stratigized so I could get what I was looking for. its not the best or most exspensuve but it will shake my house down if my wife would let me.
H/K AVR 320
Paradigm Monitor 9's mains
Paradigm mini monitor rears
Paradigm CC370 center
Paradigm PS 1000 sub
when I started looking for my first system i looked at bestbuy and i listened when i figured out the this stuff sucks. so i had to wait and look out for deals.
my point is don't compromise your sound and listen at lower volumes because you system can't handle it.
by the way when i got LOTR my wife caming down stairs shouting"PLEASE TURN IT DOWN DON YOUR SHAKING THE WHOLE DAMN HOUSE":D

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
While Jon's approach is certainly true (i.e. -- get what you want, even if it takes time to achieve; don't skimp just to get instant gratification), I don't agree with many here who tend to feel that upgraditis is simply a "must" thing to do.

It boils down to this: how many movies/DVD's do you watch? Is this something you see as a long term hobby/enjoyment item for yourself? If you are spending significant time, then certainly making some investment in your system will have many long term benefits.

BUT, if you only occasionaly rent or watch a movie, and LOTR is the only disc giving you problems, I would NOT recommend going out and spending $1000+ on receivers, speakers, and subs to solve an issue with a $16 DVD. If that's the case, simply lower your volumes when watching this one disc (believe me, you can lower the volume on LOTR and it will STILL beat the volumes on other discs; it was mixed at a very aggressive level, hence why many people have bottomed their speakers on this disc). Don't kid yourself -- you could put $5K into a brand new system next week, crank it to reference, and STILL risk bottoming out on LOTR.

The only unfortunate thing is that your current "option" really boils down to lowering the output on your sub. If your system allows you to control the sub volume independently, just tweak it down a few dB's. Otherwise, lower the system volume until you can make it through that scene without problems.

Rich

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Going along with everyone else, what you are describing most closely resembles your subwoofer bottoming out. Your only option here is to get another sub.

I built a very nice DIY sub for right around $300. If you or someone you know has basic woodworking skills and the tools, this may be an option for you. My DIY sub beats anything I've ever heard. I'm getting peaks up to 118db in room and experiencing the most tight and accurate bass I've ever heard.

FYI its a 122L sealed Adire Tempest.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I think Richard Harvey makes a lot of sense here. if you have enjoyed your system for the most part except for the occasional dvd like lotr which is very demanding then ya turn the base and volume down and enjoy:emoji_thumbsup: or you can be an idiot like me and spend 12k on your system so you can listen to any disc at reference level and beyond, yes it handled lotr without breakin a sweat but I sometimes wish that I had bought a ht in a box and been happy with that:angry:
I bet ya Ron and Tom had something to do with the making of lotr so more people would buy there subs:D
Bob

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Nothing original to add except more of an agreement on what has been covered. LOTR is a heavy duty, aggressive, room shaking movie.

I had my girlfriend visit the other evening and she decided to bring her dog Kola. I had to lower the volume because her dog was freaking out at specific parts of the movie. At times it was funny especially when one of the Nazgul was riding to the Shire and stopped at a house and the owners dog was barking. Kola, started barking like crazy and ventured towards the display to go after that dog in the movie. I grabbed him very quickly.

Kola was freaking out at times when the LFE was kicking in and the volume was rather low. In fact, I was going up and down with the volume and had to turn the sub down because I knew what parts would be intense after I saw his reaction. I even considered listening to the movie through the TV's speakers, but just could not do it. Point being John, it's an intense movie that can stress ANY sub or system.

My comment is, stick with the system that you have and if you are happy with everything else besides that bottoming out of the sub on the LOTR, turn the volume down on the .1 and enjoy your new purchase.

However, don't ask Best Buy for troubleshootinig advice or what products to purchase. Post here and the HTF members can guide you through the majority of problems. That is funny about the speaker wire.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I had my girlfriend visit the other evening and she decided to bring her dog Kola
Wow! I thought I was the only one with a dog named "kola" actually he's off in a better place. My Kola was a rottie what a great dog he was, sorry brought back some memories:frowning:
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks