What's new

How would I go about improving my SINGING? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Okay, this may be kinda weird, but here goes... :b
I wanna learn to improve my singing... I wouldnt know how good I was to start with, coz i never really performed or anything, but from what i hear on the net (Yahoo voice chat) and my friend across the country via MSN voice chat, im not that bad (I dont have the guts to perform in front of somebody yet :D).. With a guitar that is...
I usually sing with guitar, so it sounds okay as the guitar probably just muddles my bad singing... Im not tone deaf, and enjoy music.. I play guitar, bass and some piano...
I wanna be able to sing well without a guitar as well as with. Is singing a natural talent, or can people actually practice and improve on what they have, like with a guitar?
Are there any pointers/websites/programs etc you can give me that'll improve my singing, without going to a class and paying big bucks?
Thanks...

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Dude!
I want to hear about this as well. I think I have a good voice, sometimes, but then other times I think "what was I thinking?" I sing in my car, with the windows up and the a/c on so nobody can hear me. I'd love to improve my singing as well...
Nick, thanks for starting this thread!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Nick - I myself have been singing karaoke for 5 years and have won several contests. I have not had any formal training, only hours and hours of vocal practice and lots of encouragment by family and friends. I have found the best place to practice at home is the bathroom because of the acoustic properties of the room.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Thi: :laugh: How the hell did you figure that out! ;)
Haha, no, i truly wanna improve it, and maybe in the future, i could put it to use by serenading a girl... btw, i have already 'serenaded' a girl before... but its not what you think :D

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Nick- The best place to improve your singing is with a voice teacher (either in a group class or privately). Formal instruction is always best (although not always financially possible). I've been singing for over two years now with hours of practice (mostly with mild training from my grandmother, who used to be a singer). I'm waiting until the auditions for American Idol 2 start so I can enter. :emoji_thumbsup:

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Hi Nick,
The best advice I can give you (Besides the great advice from Brian to get a vocal teacher) is to practice, practice, practice. That is the way by which music is learned, technique refined, and skills sharpened.
But if you're serious about it, just take at least a couple singing lessons. This is to make sure that you're breathing correctly (very important) and enunciating the words right, especially the vowels. It shouldn't be big bucks to get a few of the basics down and break off on your own.
Enjoy yourself!:)

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Yes, I agree with what has already been suggested re: getting formal training with a qualified teacher. I have a friend who has done just that for years and his voice is incredible. In my opinion, his voice quality is comparable to that of an Andrea Bocelli.

Barring this, join a church choir. Depending on the potential of the choir, you get a lot of experience (every week in rehearsal/s and in performance) and maybe the opportunity to take a solo.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
If you've got a university near you that has a music program, definetely contact them. Grad students often teach lessons (either through the school or on their own) and they usually are pretty affordable. I agree, though, that private lessons are very important. Group settings are good, but private lessons are best to learn what YOU specifically need to improve on and you can move at your own pace. You'll also learn other things related to music that you may not know such as reading music, chordal progressions, etc. Of course you may know this from the guitar and piano if you're doing more than just playing by ear :)
To answer one of your questions, this type of thing does require talent. Hard work and practice is also necessary, though. I have found through many years of studying music and playing various instruments that I have zero talent. I have worked hard and practiced tons and that has gotten me a ways. But, once I hit college and started playing on a more professional setting I was really falling behind. My theory is no talent but hard work will only take you so far and then you'll plateu. Having talent but not working hard won't get you too far either because everyone needs to practice. But, if you've got both, you could be really great.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Nick, go up to the music department at Capillano College. They have one of the best music departments on the west coast. What I suggest is you checkout the bulletin boards in the department itself because a lot of students will be offering lessons. If there are no students offering vocal lessons, ask around for the faculty vocal instructor. He/She may either take you on as a student or at least be able to recommend a good teacher for you.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I agree with the above posts.....

Istarted voice training in high school and now singing has become part of my professional career.
After a performance, i actually was congratulated by
a woman who told me when i was 14 (and my voice was changing), that she didn't think i'd make much of a singer.
Those are sweet moments in life, when you overcome that kind of negative comment.

Most people can sing, but have always been told they couldn't....so they stop/dont try.

Do it, man.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
All the above suggestions of vocal lessons and choral groups are very good ones, IMO. However, they may offer you two totally different experiences. Choral groups focus on blending with others, and the sheer power of a mass of voices. Solo singing requires a different approach, where blending isn't in the vocabulary, but projection is.

I would start out with a choir to learn the basics, and if you enjoy it, progress to lessons to improve vocal projection and authority needed for solo singing.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, get a voice teacher for lessons. Otherwise.....
Get a karaoke laserdisc or DVD machine. It's fun and very addictive. Since you sing with guitar, get this CD....

It's an Japanese import CD of Van Halen featuring the karaoke version of "Jump" and "Top of the World". No cheesy backing music here; this is the Van Halen brothers and Michael Anthony. You get to add your own vocal styling a la David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar. Or play along with Eddie.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Try singing like Gomer Pyle.
Which version? They never could get that straight. In an early episode of the Andy Griffith Show, he was singing out in the parking lot in his incredible Jim Nabors voice. Then, the episode where he joins the Marines, he sang like Gomer talked. Still later, on Gomer Pyle, he sang beautifully again! :D
Seriously, though, keep the thread going. Like Nick, I wouldn't mind improving my singing voice, and there's some good advice goin' on right cheer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks