What's new

How well do CD-R's play (Quality, etc) on large tv's? (1 Viewer)

Emile

Agent
I have a huge CD-R collection (700) and I have never been able to test how a normal sized CD-R plays on a Dvd player. I have heard that the quality is horrible since the normal computer monitor is 15 inches while a normal HTS tv is at least 27-32 inches, and the quality stays the same while being spread out on a larger diagonal surface. How would the normal 400 megabyte tv file (40 minutes long) in AVI format look on a tv? And what sound encoding is transfered? I am assuming it's just dolby pro logic II, but I have no real idea. Thanks for any comments.

Iver

Second Unit
Do you mean VCD's, videos transferred to CD discs? Those usually have about the same resolution as a VHS tape, so you would have acceptably good picture resolution on just about standard direct-view NTSC display.

The audio would probably be PCM stereo, or possible Dolby Pro Logic if the VCD is mastered from a VHS tape encoded with a DPL soundtrack.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
VCD audio is MPEG 1 Layer 2@192 kb/s. It can be Dolby Surround encoded(which includes Pro-Logic II). With VCDS the quality can be about VHS quality. SVCD is better and is about as good as most satellite TV systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks