How well do CD-R's play (Quality, etc) on large tv's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Emile, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Emile

Emile Agent

I have a huge CD-R collection (700) and I have never been able to test how a normal sized CD-R plays on a Dvd player. I have heard that the quality is horrible since the normal computer monitor is 15 inches while a normal HTS tv is at least 27-32 inches, and the quality stays the same while being spread out on a larger diagonal surface. How would the normal 400 megabyte tv file (40 minutes long) in AVI format look on a tv? And what sound encoding is transfered? I am assuming it's just dolby pro logic II, but I have no real idea. Thanks for any comments.

2. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Do you mean VCD's, videos transferred to CD discs? Those usually have about the same resolution as a VHS tape, so you would have acceptably good picture resolution on just about standard direct-view NTSC display.

The audio would probably be PCM stereo, or possible Dolby Pro Logic if the VCD is mastered from a VHS tape encoded with a DPL soundtrack.

3. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

VCD audio is MPEG 1 Layer [email protected] kb/s. It can be Dolby Surround encoded(which includes Pro-Logic II). With VCDS the quality can be about VHS quality. SVCD is better and is about as good as most satellite TV systems.