What's new

How to care for a freshly planted tree? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The developer in my new neighborhood planted a brand new tree in front of my house over the weekend. What should I do to take care of it? I would like a nice big healthy sidewalk-eating tree in the future, as I intend to be here for a long time.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Find out what kind of tree it is first. That will dictate what kind of care it needs but freshly planted anything likes to have a lot of water to help regenerate after the shock of being transplanted. Couldn't tell you more without knowing more about it.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Plenty of water is important. But don't overdo it or you can end up with root rot.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
As long as it was planted with it's rootball intact, there was probably little if no transplant shock. Leave it alone and let it grow. Only water it if it gets too hot and dry outside.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
It's a bit late now, but ideally you should plant a tube that goes round the root ball and pokes out to the surface. That way you can water the roots directly without wasting gallons on watering the grass around the tree. I'd say water it every few days around the outside of where you think the roots are (to encourage the roots to grow out) for the next month or so and then for the next year give it a watering if you've got a dry spell. Note that you will need far more water than for e.g. a bush or flowers (I know this sounds obvious to most people, but there are those who don't know this).

How big is the tree, and what type? If it's still a sapling and you tend to get high winds, then you should think about staking it for the first couple of years. If it's a water-hungry tree (e.g. most willows) then I hope it's a good way from any foundations or water or sewage pipes.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
They guys who planted it, when I asked, said that it's Maple, but I don't know yet. I noticed when I went out to my car this morning that there was a large wet spot in the mulch on both trees. They are planted between the sidewalk and the street, so technically they belong to the neighborhood not me. I think the developer is caring for them. They are about 10 feet high, and are staked.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
If it's a Silver Maple, kill it. I don't know if Silver Maples grow in your area, but those trees are worse than useless. Sugar Maples, Red Maples, Japanese Maples, and Rock Maples are great trees, however. I think all of these varieties grow in your area.

If it's a Japanese Maple (not likely if it's a ten-foot-tall sapling), then I hope it gets a little shade during the day. Those trees don't do well in full sun.

I don't know how easements work in your neighborhood, but in Texas, even though the land between the sidewalk and the street is owned by the city, I am taxed with the responsibility of caring for it. This means I have to do all the mowing, weeding, watering, and fertilizing.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The builder came by and planted 9 trees and a whole bunch of bushes as part of our "standard landscaping" package yesterday. The front landscaping is on a timer attached to my spiget that has a hose going out planted under the mulch to water the roots of the trees and bushes in the front. Nice. Ugly Holly next to the garage, a bunch of trees, cherry, maple, you name it in the back. They left instructions on how to care for them, and we got a soaking rain last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks