What's new

How often do you change fuses on a sub (1 Viewer)

I have a Klipsh KSW12 sub since Dec 2000 and yesterday the fuse blew. I replaced it and the unit worked again. So the question is: Is this normal and how often should the fuses blow on similar products.
------------------
¡Que vivan las películas en su formato original!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I doubt this is normal. I've had a KSW-10 for two years, a KSW-15 for about a year, and just got another KSW-12 and have NEVER EVER had to replace the fuse.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Dont freak out!
What caused the fuse to blow?
Did you change anything? Go from line level in to speaker in and touch wires. House power spike, or to little house AC current (rare but in very old homes with outdate wireing) seen it happen. Maybe un-plug and plug back in while under power?
---------
Ive had fuses blow for some of the reasons above!
---------
Sub fuses dont generaly blow for no reason. They are there to protect the amp and it's electronics along with the driver from just these types of things. So if everything is the same as it always has been then replace the fuse -[with the proper amperage and type] !! -Slow or Fast blow-
Check your manual. If it blows again, assuming that nothing is differnt than it has always been, -(meaning everthing is hooked up correctly)- then most likely there is a problem with the sub somewhere.
Ah duh :)
So give everything the once over and hopefully you wont be calling the store where you bought it, Klipsh, or the repair shop....
Good luck
Geoff

Thanks for the info. It's working well up to this moment.
------------------
¡Que vivan las películas en su formato original!

MartyK

Agent
Nestor,
You should checkout the subwoofer forum on www.klipsch.com. It appears that there are many people on that forum with Klipsch subs that have simular problems.
Marty

MarkO

Second Unit
This is a reply from someone on the klipsh payroll replying to someone with the same problem as you """ You may have gotten a KSW-10 with the wrong fuse (a 1 amp fast blow) installed from the factory. Make sure you have a 1 amp slow blow fuse to replace the one that blew. Sorry for the problem...
PhilH
" Here is the proper fuse for the KSW12 from Radio Shack -----> Part#270-1022,,, this is a 1.5 amp slow blow. I guess the 12 uses a slightlt bigger fuse.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i (personally) would be hesitant to replace the fuse with a slo-blow. since the sub already blew one fuse, something (obviously) is causing a problem. if you use a slo-blow, i think you might "increase" the chance of something happening to your equipment.
i'd rather replace a fuse then a sub...
obviously, if your sub keeps blowing fuses, then something must be up and you should get it checked out.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Nestor,
While Ted is right, I don't think he knows the full story on the Klipsch sub/fuse problem. (No offense Ted, just wanted to point out that Klipsch is the one who says to use the slow blow fuse).
A while back, Klipsch was shipped fast blow fuses instead of their slow blow fuses that they use. They sent out a whole bunch of their KSW subs with these fuses. They found the problem and corrected it, but unfortunatley, a whole bunch made it out before this.
So, many people have a sub with a fast blow fuse, which can easily be tripped by a bass heavy scene. On Klipsch's bulletin board, they themselves recommend the slow blow fuse - that is what they intended to use all along. It was one of their vendors that made the mistake.
So, if you have a slow blow fuse in there, and it still blows, then you have a different problem. But make sure you go to www.klipsch.com and go to the forum area. They have a powered sub section that has all kinds of posts like you have. I have a KSW12, and I must have gotten one with the correct fuse. I have never had the fuse blow, and I crank it sometimes. Now, the new RSW subs will be released next week, and you can bet I will be trading in the KSW and getting an RSW 12!
And like Geoff said, you could have another problem. (bad electricy in to the home, or just have the thing cranked too loud!)
Good luck!
Bryan

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi bryan -
thanks for the heads-up and background info. no offense taken! :)
i guess i'd rather play it safe...
biggrin.gif

------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks