How much is a Carver AV-806x THX worth today?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Robert_Z, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

It was apparently a great amp in the mid to late '90s...but what about today? What is a reasonable price to pay for one of these in good/very good condition? And do you think it makes sense to pay X amount for such an old amp, when I could buy a Rotel RMB 1075 for $900-1000?

2. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

Robert:

Forget the Carver, no resale value, very questionable sonics. IMHO that brand shouldn't be on anyone's list at all. Get a current production, quality amp., like the Rotel 1075 you mentioned.

JaimeB

3. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I paid $550 for a Carver AV-705x (5 x 125wpc) on e-bay about a year ago.

Great amp. Many say the Carver amps will be collector items. Very highly rated!!

Hope this helps[​IMG]

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I don't know what one would go for today. Most users are obviously keepin' 'em. They were HIGHLY regarded when they were out. From various pro reviews, they were well made and the 6 channel design was quite unique at the time. I would think that if you end up around $500 or so, you'd have a great deal (if it's in good condition of course.)

Likewise, the 705x had several great pro reviews with only a couple lukewarm exceptions. (BTW, there was a NAD 705x "clone" out there too. It was made around the same time as the original Carver version. Don't remember the model number though...)

5. Richard Slay

Richard Slay Extra

I paid $659 for a b-stock 806 from One Stop 4 years ago and have been very happy with it, through a wide variety of speakers and pre-amps. Although it may not have the best bass in the world we live in an age of powered subwoofers. Its great strength is that Home Theater magazine reached 590 watts in bridged mode before clipping. It's easy to get into bridged mode using an extra RCA cable. So you can think of it as an extremely powerful 3-channel amp for relatively high-impedance speakers. However, if you're seeing large Parasounds and Rotels at low prices then those should be a priority.

6. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Carver,some of the best amps ever made,run cool,quiet and dependable,not like some furnaces that go to 300 degrees.

7. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

If you want a Carver amp,just buy a Panny. I hear that Panny amps are Carver amps.

[​IMG]