1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How much are your old laser discs worth?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Martin Dew, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Martin Dew

Martin Dew HTF News Editor

Martin Dew
  2. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Supporting Actor
    Supporter

noel
    Song of the South w Obi?
    Star Wars with Han shooting first and no "Episode IV A New Hope" scroll?
    And any CAV disc as far as I'm concerned- especially animation?

3. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Odd Cutthroat Island is worth $350 - more than it made at the box office! LOL I actually had that at one point. Who knew?

Radioman970 and Brent Reid like this.
  4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I love HTF but having to click through to read three paragraphs still doesn’t make sense.

Why can’t that just be in the op.

BobO'Link, KeithAP and Brent Reid like this.
  5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    No link to flipsy?

Peter Keller and Brent Reid like this.
  6. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    I do have the first three James Bond films released by Criterion with the commentary. Eon Productions had a issue with the commentary and told Criterion to stop making them and re-release them with no commentary track. I also have The Godfather Trilogy 1901-1980 which has the two movies together in chronological order.

7. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    Why would Blade Runner be worth $1000?

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm nitpicking (and being a nerd to boot) but the "Episode IV" addition to the scroll was included on all home video releases until the 2006 DVD release.

Brian Kidd and Josh Steinberg like this.
  9. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Supporting Actor
    Supporter

noel
    Ahh yes young Skywalker you were listening - I was waiting for that response. However Han still shoots first- and in CAV- so there can be no denying!

TravisR likes this.
  10. Martin Dew

Martin Dew HTF News Editor

Martin Dew
    Yes, the link is in there in the last paragraph, TonyD. It appears not to have highlighted.

11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    For whatever reason links don't work in blog posts. You have to go in and edit the HTML.

12. Brent Reid

Brent Reid Supporting Actor

Brent
  13. Message #13 of 61 Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

However, it's far-harder to obtain a LD where Han doesn't shoot first. There are tons of different releases of the original Star Wars Trilogy on LD. I mean, it's Star Wars. The prices on sets like the Definitive Collection and the "Faces" releases are sometimes artificially inflated, considering the number of copies of them that are in the wild. You can go to eBay any day of the week and find them listed. Still, if people are willing to overpay for something that isn't at all rare, that's their own business.

Most laserdiscs can still be had for a song, compared to what they would have cost when they were released. Honestly, it's rare to find LD content that didn't get a DVD release. It exists, but it's mostly esoteric content and not feature films. I still occasionally purchase laserdiscs of things because I like the cover art, it has supplements that weren't carried over to DVD, or it never got a DVD. The latter are pretty rare, though, I'm finding.

It's honestly harder to find DVD's of some things these days because they've gone out of print and third-party sellers are asking outrageous prices for them. Try picking up any of the later Walt Disney Treasures releases for anything less than a couple hundred dollars each. It's not easy, if downright impossible in several cases.

EDIT: Just looked on eBay for a few of the titles in that list. Um.. yeah. They didn't do much research, it seems.

That list on LDDB shows how much someone listed a disc for, not what someone would actually pay for it. Heck, that Pulp Fiction is a Taiwan release in P&S. People can list something for any amount they want, but that doesn't mean it's what the item is worth or will reasonably fetch on the market. It's pure click-bait.

OK, not total click-bait, I guess, but you pretty much have to read the entire article to get the honest answer to the click-bait-y headline. Definitely burying the lede.

Your LaserDiscs Could Be Worth $250 or More – (but they are almost certainly not.)

Brent Reid likes this.
  14. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Just to point out something here: If you want to see the Original, unaltered Star Wars Trilogy (1977, 1980, 1983), you don't need LD's to see these. These films are available on Disk 2 (special features) of the Original Trilogy 2006 DVD releases - and, my understanding is that these DVD prints are essentially the same non-Anamorphic prints from the LD's. Yes, these 2006 DVD's are now OOP, but they are out there:

http://www.startribune.com/original-star-wars-films-available-on-dvd-if-you-re-willing-to-settle/360627281/

15. segarolow86@gmail.com

[email protected] Stunt Coordinator

Dan
    Me. I will keep all my Laser Disc. and the two players I have.
    May even pick up a few more. As I go.

16. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    There are much better versions than that out there.

Brian Kidd and DaveF like this.
  17. Message #17 of 61 Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

Those are the best Legal versions then though I'd argue the Laserdiscs on a very good player provide a better picture.

You can ask whatever price you want from old laserdiscs, but what prices do they actually sell for. I see some stupid prices asked for routine items (P/S Little Mermaid, open, no autographs, et) , Several hundred dollars for the mass overproduced Jurassic Park sets.

Pristine cover, sealed discs just aren;t commonly available so even if you have the exact item, the chances they'd be worth a fraction of what some of those prices suggest is unlikely even if you could find a collector who wanted it.

I have several mint sealed Disney LD Premium boxsets, but I have no delusions any of them are going to fetch triple digits much less 4 figures (even if I was going to sell them). I'm actually not sure what my rarest item is, but likely one of the DTS discs?

I do have a sealed copy of Armageddon DTS. I have a bunch of the DTS discs that are listed up to $200-300 each. I just checked sold listing and I have U571 AC3 (released 2001 so one of the latest production items) Japanese disc appears to have sold for $450 to someone (preowned even). Hoodlum DTS sold for $300.

18. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    I never thought the final laserdiscs looked all that great. There was a lot of DNR applied, giving them a smeary look. I actually thought the first letterboxed laserdiscs were superior.

star-wars-dv. 71w1JI++RQL._SX342_. return-of-the-jedi-3-dv.

atcolomb likes this.
  19. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    I've seen Star Wars: A New Hope on LD, and was not impressed by the PQ - very washed out, flat colors & a sub-par picture. Unfortunately, the '77, '80, and '83 original, unedited versions of the Star Wars films are not available anywhere in a decent DVD/Blu format.

20. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    They are, but not strictly legally.

Brian Kidd likes this.