What's new
World Wide Stereo

How long are big screen televisions supposed to last? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
My family's owned a Mitsubishi VS-6017R since 1991. It's been like part of the family.

And now, I think it's starting to fade on us. Everytime bright white or bright colors show up (eg. Cube 2: Hypercube), the T.V. spazzes out.

Everything seems darker, and it seems like it can't handle bright colors. Is this the end of my big screen? Say it ain't so. :frowning:

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Life depends on how you take care of it. How long does a person live? Depends.

A well taken care of 45" Mits that I gave to my parents circa 1988/89 is nearing its end ... likely in the next year or two. This is a set that was "calibrated" almost since day one (after sitting on a showroom floor for 5 months prior to the purchase).

Maybe it just needs a new power supply ... but who knows.

Regards

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Sounds about par for the course. Sorry. The CRTs are now entering their terminal phase. (I also really don't like the idea of playing games on RPTVs or any other display whose primary use is for home theater.)

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Durable goods are designed with an 8 yr life-span in mind. Refridgerators, TV's, Washers, Dryers, etc. You get the idea.

Anything over 8 years and you got a good deal.

Bill

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
7-10 years is the time frame that things start to deteriorate, electrolytic capacitors , solder connections (especially hot parts), transformers , picture tubes , etc. At this time minor repairs are OK but I don't advise major repairs. (I've run a service business for 24 years) A likely failure on your Mits are all the surface mount capacitors on the PIP board (all the video routes through it), a very messy repair. However if you can find a servicer who works on a lot of them , he may be proficient in repairing the board (not available as a repair part unless someone is rebuilding them). If he's done enough of them it might be economically feasible.

scottS

Grip
LOL. My old Mits VS-5006R is also dying. It's dark, and now on initial start up loses vert sync until warms up. Also on occasion the guns misalign (rotate) esp if the set is fully warm and you accidently switch it off and back on. But I am now in shopping mode!

scott s.

TroyRD

Grip
What do you mean by "spazzes out", if its just the image getting darker, when was the last time the screen was taken off to give the lenses and mirror a cleaning? Might just be a nice layer of dust causing the dark image.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks