What's new

How does my 13 year old Sony CDP-C50 5 disc changer stack up to the new players? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't mean fix :eek:, I would just have taken the cover off to get a look. I can't guarantee anything...
I would want to see the mechanisim and see if it is sticking or if there is an electrical issue. I had a similar problem with mine that turned out to be just a pinched wire on the tray. Being the kind of person I am (curious kid at heart) I would take it apart just to see how it worked (or didn't as the case may be), because that's what I did as a kid - if it could be taken apart, I did. Putting it back together AND having it work, is the big trick... :)
Maybe we will have to organize another little local HTF gathering soon...

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I took the cover off my 5 disc Sony carousel because I was cleaning it and toying with the idea of making a lid that opened so I could exchange disc while one is playing, sort of like the early technics had. No drawer, you just lifted the lid. Only problem is, the Sony might get all confused if I change discs while they are playing. Not sure, but I couldn't be bothered to mess with it anyways.
Either way, I find the audio quality of this Sony CD player to be quite good. I guess I'll compare it a bit with my Panasonic DVD player and Pioneer CLD-79 Laserdisc player too, and with the SR6200 receivers DAC's. I really like the sound of the Sony though. Nothing bothers me about the sound. Maybe a bit of veiling of the sound, maybe some spatial sounds missing or treble, but I'd really have to do some comparisons to see. It just sounds nice :) hey for 14 year old equipment, I'm happy. I want to see how long it can last (knock on wood) :cool:

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Revival of Post. For a fun (crazy?) project, I want to add digital output to my CDP-C50! I have an extra identical test player to rip into, so no worries about risking screwing up my player. I know I could buy a newer CD, and I probably will, but this is just for fun and to keep the old player going and more interesting.
I'll add whatever is easier, digital TOSLINK output or digital coax.
Does anyone know how I could find out which CD player was identical to my CDP-C50 except it had a digital output? I could have sworn it was the CDP-C5F but I guess not? It isn't the CDP-C50M or C40. My Sony is from 1988 or 1989 and it is the CDP-C50. There was another model almost identical to mine in every way except for the fact that it had a digital output. I'd like to know more about it. One day if I found one I'd almost like to see if I could mod my player with the digital output purely for fun. I imagine I could mod it with a generic digital output with parts from somewhere anyways?
I just happen to have a second CDP-C50 that I bought which is in less than perfect shape. Its transport clamp seems iffy and there's a button missing and no remote. I bought it 6 months ago for $10 and was going to rip into it as a project test. I can still do it. I know I could get a newer CD player, and I bet I will, but I could always use a second CD player and I'm curious how long this CDP-C50 will last. It plays 99% perfect.
Thanx for any ideas :)
thanx
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks