What's new

How do you beat Alma in Ninja Gaiden? (1 Viewer)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I'm still stuck at the end of the seventh level in Ninja Gaiden where I've had the wonderful opportunity of getting my ass handed to me by Alma at least fifteen times in a row. Although I've read through some of the published strategy guides (Bradygames, Prima, etc.), I still have no clue how to beat her. I understand the need to be close to her (yet not too close so she can't grab you) and to use the fire magic while going in for one set of swipes and quickly heading back out. The problem I'm facing is this: the camera control in this game is so INCREDIBLY bad that I continually get pounded by her when I'm on the defensive because I can't see where I'm going! The strategy guides say to run around her in a circular manner while dodging the purple "magic balls" she fires at you along with those columns. I can never see what's going on and the next thing you know, she has gotten a hold of me and bitch slaps half of my health away.

I know this is only a game, but this is really starting to piss me off. Up to this point, the game seemed to have a pretty consistent difficulty level. Although it's been very hard, it hasn't been so hard to prevent me from trying again. Alma on the other hand is quite a different story. I don't mind losing to an enemy if they are simply difficult, however, I get extremely frustrated when I lose due to difficulties with camera control (or a complete lackthereof). And no, downloading the Hurricane Pack Vol. 1 (which includes complete camera control) isn't an option because the difficulty level on that version of the game is even higher. I'm hoping someone has some good advice here. I really don't want to miss out on the remaining nine levels of the game because of Alma.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Lol, that b*tch is the sole reason I stopped playing that game MONTHS ago. It's still sitting there on my shelf. Best of luck man, it's not gonna be easy no matter what anyone tells you. ;)

My advice is to load up on healing potions before you fight her. If that means loading up an older save sobeit. Also, you're invulnerable for a little bit when you do that Magic Fire Art, which can be helpful.

Dodge, Flying Sparrow Attack and Ice Ninpo!... (level two I think)

Keep at it. Alma is the hardest boss in the game and took me quite a few attempts to beat. Don't give up, Gaiden is one incredible game and I highly recommend powering up the Wooden Sword... Unlaboured Flawlessness kicks!

Derek

BrandonJF

Second Unit
How many elixirs do you have? I ended up having to fight her with 0 and I spent HOURS before I got lucky enough to beat her. I can imagine it being easier had I had at a couple elixirs.

But, as someone else pointed out, the flying swallow and Ice Ninpo combo will finish her off quickly. When she's hovering in one place in the air (and not prepping to start shooting those energy balls at you), try a flying swallow. If you get her, while she's down, use the ice ninpo. If it's on level 2, you'll only need to do this about 4 times.

I played through a second time to get the scarabs I had missed - it is just amazing what a difference playing through the game once does to your skill level. I pretty much ran right through the game and had maxxed out my elixirs and ninpo by the time I got to Alma again. Amazingly enough, I beat her in one try, not really needing to use any elixirs. The first time through, I probably made 50+ attempts.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Wow,

I didn't think she was that hard at all. I beat her after about 5 tries. She gets stunned easily once you hit her and you can then do a combo attack followed by Ninpo (I used shooting fire).

Didn't take me long once I figured out her pattern of attack.

Troy

chris rick

Second Unit
Why do people think she is so hard? MAINTAIN your distance, keep moving, and you will be fine.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
If you think she's hard now, just wait 'til you try Hurricane Pack 2. Finally made my way through HP2 last month. Wow, was that a challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks