What's new

How do people feel about JBL’s? (1 Viewer)

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
How do people feel about JBL’s? I can’t find to many magazine reviews on them, but the reviews at audioreview.com seem to be very good. I am specifically talking about the Studio (S) series. I am looking at using and S-Center with S-36’s as my main’s the S-38’s are to big for my setup. I haven’t figured out what I will do for my surrounds, maybe another set of S-36’s. I don’t see allot of talk in any forums about JBLs.

I want 50/50, music/HT so the footprint in the house is important. It is either JBL or something like Polk RM6600, Energy Take 5.2, Paradigm Cinema, etc. Going with the JBL would allow me to build slowly as well. That way I don’t have a huge initial investment. I also like the thought of 3-way vs. 2-way speakers. It just seems like you would get more range.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Paging Phil Iturralde... Phil you have a customer in the showroom....Phil to the showroom please.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Definitely check out Phil's website. I have the S312s, S-Center, S26s, and the PB12 sub. I am very happy with my JBLs.

-Chris

Brian_C

Stunt Coordinator
Phil is pretty much the most knowledgeable guy when it comes around to JBL speakers. I'd definitely give his site a look through.

I have the JBL S312s and S-Center in the front, and still convinced I couldn't have purchased anything better for the money (Don't buy them at Best Buy...).

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Hey Mark Austin - thanks for the call - finally here! Been eBaying as of late to add (& sell) to my Star Trek Collection!
Vin - thanks for posting my link & covering this thread for me! ;)
ChrisMatson & Brian_C - I'm glad you used your money wisely and got the best performance for your hard earned dollar!!! One day, you should review your S-Series setup!
LowellG - I'm personally using the JBL NSP1 (four JBL N24s & one N-Center since April 2000 / sub = AudioSource SW15) and love the Dynamic Cinema Theater Blockbuster Sound it reproduces! I didn't audition the NSP1s before I purchased them, but bought them based on previous sound reproduction experience* & their Tweeter Design "High-Frequency Driver: 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome with EOS™ waveguide" (identical up to the top-line JBL ND310).
JBL's latest offering improves on their previous Titanium tweeter design, by improving the familiar crystal clear playback sound, while adding a super wide & smoother frequency response than my previous Main HT System, the *JBL J-Series - "High-Frequency Driver: 14mm Titanium Composite dome" (now @ my vacation house, . . . impressing our family / friends after skiing all-day!). Tom Nousaine noted in his JBL NSP1 IN THE LABS section
"JBL's N24 left / right satellite had smooth, uniform response over the entire ±60° window."
Back to the S-Series question - Mark Knight (Digital Vortex) bought six JBL S-36's & one S-Center (sub = Twin SVS Subs) for his HT Setup, and you can follow this link to read his Speaker review. Interestingly, he journeyed thru a number of speaker sets before reaching HT Nirvana with the JBL S-Series. Check out Mark Knight's previous speaker reviews; Klipsch Synergy Quintet Satellite Speaker System; Energy TAKE 5 Satellite Speaker System; Atlantic Technology 270 THX Speaker System.
Mark has been encouraging me to take my NSP1s to my vacation house and upgrade my Main Home HT Setup w/JBL S-Series! If I do upgrade, I'll get four S-26's & one S-Center for my setup!
NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Hope this helps,
Phil

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I have JBL Studio speakers. They are tight sounding, easy to drive, and I love the clarity. I recommend shopping jandr.com.

parin_patel

Stunt Coordinator
I'm very happy with my JBL (S312/S36/S-Center) setup as well. They are efficient, very clear, and just sound great. Basically best performance in their price range, and as others have said, buy them from a place like J&R or BestPriceAudioVideo.com (don't pay full price at BestBuy).

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. Phil I checked out your website. Great art by your kids. My daughter liked the drawings too. Oh, and great info about JBL also.

So it sounds like everybody’s recommendation is for me to go for the JBL S setup instead of a RM6600, Take 5.2, etc. I have listed to the S and N Center's at Best Buy. I definitely liked the S-Center. From the one review it sounds like the S-36's will be just fine as my mains. Now I just have to narrow down my receiver choices. It’s a Onkyo, 595, Denon 1802 or wait on the new Yamaha line. I haven’t really heard any reports on Yamaha’s power output is all. They appear to offer the best bang for the buck as well.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
JBL knows what they're doing, the company's origins go back to the early 1930s and the Lansing Manufacturing Co. which designed and made the drivers for the famous Shearer Horn motion picture theater speaker. Of course real JBL freaks use the pro stuff at home or use vintage horn systems like the L-300, much better stuff than what they sell as home speakers now though for the type (small direct-radiators, yes 12" woofers are small to JBL fanatics) their speakers are very good. JBL no longer addresses the American market with no-holds-barred speakers as they did in the 50s, 60s and 70s though in Japan they sell huge, uncompromised horn speakers like the K2. Look at www.audioheritage.org for a history of JBL and Altec-Lansing, also interviews with the present designers and insights into their products both in The United States and Japan.

I have an all JBL set up I was able to pick up through a friend who works for the local distributor. S38 fronts + S26 rears + S center + PB12. All for $780 USD. What a score that turned out to be. I've walked out of showrooms smiling cause I would not trade my little rig for the 2 or 3K set up I just heard. I run mine with an Outlaw 1050. Suggest you put it on your list if the features meet your needs. Much cleaner and more dynamic than my old Yammie.

Have fun, whatever you choose

Rick Favreau

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I have the Radiance series of JBL, and a JBL 12' sub. The tweeter in the JBL's are AWESOME!!!

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I too am a JBL fan.... having owned a pair of L100 since 1978. They still serve as my main speakers in my HT system and has survived against some formidable competition such as Monitor Audio, Energy, Magnepan. I also set up systems for friends and usually use the S series JBL which are always a crowd pleaser.

As an above poster stated, JBL dominated the market a couple of decades ago and still ahve a huge following in the Professional area. Their S Series have established them as a viable contender again in the home market after a long seemingly dismal period of average speakers. BUT... anyone who has hung on to some of those old 70's models of the studio monitors and such have a real gem........

David Rip

Auditioning
I had always been a JBL fan but found that product in recent years (last 15) is not what it used to be. I am very displeased with the JBL PB12 and it soon is being replaced by a real subwoofer the HSU VT-2. I was so embarrassed by this sub when an audio buddy came by to hear my system. Thought I was all tweaked out and had no serious weakness well, suprise. I had never really tested this sub with an appropriate CD of hard bass tracks. Well my friend knows his music and knows what to bring to test your equipment. The PB 12 totally failed and couldn't even begin to hit some of the bass. I was sooooo embarrassed.

If you don't expect much out of a sub, sure this one will go boom boom boom. But it is not one of the better subs at its price point out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks