What's new

How do I check RAM I don't have yet for latency? (1 Viewer)

Mike Schmitz

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the process of upgrading my system. I'm going to buy an AMD XP 3200+ for my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe TO REPLACE THE 2200+ THAT'S IN THERE NOW, But eventually, I'm going to need lower-latency RAM. I've currently got 512 MB of RAM from Samsung. It was cheap (around $80) and all I could afford at the time. I suspect it's pretty high-latency.

I checked Crucial's site, and they had a wizard that checked out possible RAM for my motherboard and this is what it spit out. I figure two of the 512 MB BL6464Z402 model will really pick things up.

Is this a good brand/type of RAM to get? Or is there a better brand of 3200 DDR RAM than I can get for my motherboard?

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
most "good" ram is low latency. they will specify where you get it from. personally I dont use any ram other than Corsair and OCZ.

"is this a good brand/type of RAM to get? Or is there a better brand of 3200 DDR RAM than I can get for my motherboard?"

The Ballistix modules in tha link you posted are supposed to be pretty good. they got good reviews at www.HardOCP.com

well the only type you can get is DDR. just make sure its CAS 2.5 or CAS 2. its hard to get CAS3 nowadays. almost every brand of DDR is at least CAS 2.5 unless its some generic brand.

Mike Schmitz

Stunt Coordinator
The specs page for the memory module says that the Memory Timings are: 2-2-2-6. What does that mean?

Oh, and Mike, can you link to the HardOCP page that has the review? I can't seem to find it...

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
that means its CAS 2 latency, those are very tight timings, about as low as you can get. I was trying to find the review for you but I couldnt seem to find it either. Ill try and find out some more stuff for you thou. from what I remember reading about the Ballistix is they perform about as good as Corsair,which a nice feat to achieve. find out about the warranty on them thou, Corsair has a killer lifetime warranty, and you can trade in any RAM module you have issues with no questions asked.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The memory latency on RAM makes a lot less of a difference than it used to some years back. I recently found this out myself.

Seriously, like 1% - 5% (5% being at the very most) difference between CAS2 and cas 2.5 type settings. Generally, it isn't worth the money these days.

Somebody had some reasoning for why, but I forget where I read it.
Here's some good recent benchmarks on it... I got this link from anandtech...

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=333

You can see how little difference it makes anymore. But if you want to spend the money for, on average, 2% speed difference, you could. You'd be better off buying a better videocard or processor, though.

The new rule of thumb is: buy for size first, then latency. You're better off spending the money on a good brand of RAM. You should just keep your Samsung and get another 512 stick. :D Your Samsung is probably CAS 2.5 - good enough.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'm much more concerned about compatibility than CAS latency myself...which is why I recommend Corsair RAM (ValueRAM series is very good - good price, guaranteed to work with whatever motherboard you buy).

I couldn't get my Kingston PC3200 HyperX 2x512mb RAM to work properly at 400MHz speeds on my ABIT NF7-S motherboard...unstable! But, the corsair RAM was perfect! With that said, if the Samsung works fine, keep it - just don't expect it to work if you upgrade the motherboard but decide to reuse the RAM. Not a big deal anyways, since most people buy new RAM when they upgrade anyways. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks