What's new

How about an inexpensive DVD player for those who hate black bars? (1 Viewer)

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Specs:
Less then 100 dollars
Always zooms the image to eliminate black bars
Uses all the vertical resolution of an 'anamorphic' DVD when zooming.
Will display an 'anamorphic' 16/9 DVD by cropping the sides by 25 percent for display on the default 4/3 TV.
Crops 44 percent off the sides when zooming an 'anamorphic' 2.35:1 DVD and scales the 360 scan lines to 480.
I believe if such a DVD player were mass marketed in stores like Walmart and Blockbuster that it would eliminate the perceived need for pan and scan transfers and at the same time increase sales of existing widescreen only transfers.
This seems obvious to me.
I know about the so called pan and scan on the fly option but I am not talking about that.
The remote should have a simple joystick to allow panning around the image.
What are your thoughts?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
, your joking right? Please tell me you are, please.
------------------
No Soup For You!

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
your joking right? Please tell me you are, please.
Why? You mean you don't think it would sell?
Anything that has the effect of eliminating pan and scan releases seems like a good idea to me no matter how goofy it might sound.
Frank

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Frank, I think that would be a fantastic idea! Hardware Pan and Scan...Brilliant! The sales pitch would be Future proof your system! Use your DVD in "Pan and Scan" now and enjoy seeing half the picture on your entire screen! When you come to the light later and buy a widescreen TV you'll already be ready to go in all anamorphic glory without having to buy a single extra disk! Stores sell only one format disk and everyone's all happy! :)
Damn, its so simple when you really think about it...
Dean

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Damn... I hate to say it, but it does sound like a great idea. Wow, pitch it to Toshiba and Sony and see what they think.
------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
That is simply brilliant. if i were living by myself, i'd buy one! see if you can pitch it to companies and get a percentage off the sales
wink.gif

BrianZ

Auditioning
Most people I know who have bought DVD players typically ask that question almost immediately: "Is there any way to get rid of the black bars?" Your proposal is a good one, but you'd need the cooperation of directors to make it work.
I would love to gauge people's reactions as they wonder why the director chose to shoot two noses talking to each other. Or why the director chose to get so darn stylistic and constantly showed only half of people's faces.

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
I know about the so called pan and scan on the fly option but I am not talking about that.
Why isn't this an okay solution? I unknowingly had my player set to 4:3 instead of letterbox. When I eventually put in a disk that supported this (i'm assuming we are talking about the same thing) I was like "what the heck" cause the image looked just how you described it. All zoomed in and cutting off a ton of the picture. Maybe if more disks were like that it could accomplish the same thing. I know I had my player for well over a year before I came across a disc that supported it (which was The Last Temptation of Christ). I don't know that people who are willing to accept watching a movie like this are going to notice or care about the extra resolution your new hardware would give them. I don't see them panning around a movie with a joystick either.

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Don't get me wrong. Pan and scan on the fly encoding on the DVD should have been used from day one.
Unfortunately, it was not and now there are many thousands of DVDs without it.
What I am proposing is a way to take the pressure off of the studios to produce more pan and scan DVDs by giving the folks who like their screens filled what they want.
I realize that some Toshiba players can zoom the image but that's only part of the solution.
I don't think the Toshiba uses all the anamorphic vertical resolution when zooming up for 4/3 displays anyway.
This player must be cheap and fill the screen by default to accomplish this goal.
I don't see users panning around with a joystick except out of curiosity, but it would be a great educational experience for Joe User, don't you think. It could give a whole new meaning to repeat viewings.
Thanks for your feedback.
Frank
[Edited last by Frank on July 18, 2001 at 07:05 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks