What's new

International FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON (1958) - DVD from Germany (1 Viewer)

Dick

Premium
Real Name
Rick
This review is made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

Notes on my reviews: I do not offer plot summaries in most cases, as these can be found on a million other sites, but rather focus instead on what people want to know: the image and sound presentation, default playback settings, subtitles, audio choices, etc. My equipment: Panasonic TC-P55UT50 Plasma monitor (3-D capable); Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3-D Blu-ray player; LG BD-360 all-region Blu-ray player; Denon AVE-E200 5.1 Surround receiver. All aspect ratios are physically measured on the Panasonic screen, which has been set to eliminate overscan.

upload_2016-3-7_0-46-37.png

Director Byron Haskin (WAR OF THE WORLDS) has given us a pretty decent movie starring Joseph Cotton and George Sanders. It is one of the few sci-fi thrillers of its era that does not conclude happily (ROCKETSHIP XM didn't, either), and plays like an adventure film. The biggest quarrel I have with it is the sound editor's endless recycling of electronic sounds from the FORBIDDEN PLANET soundtrack...Bebe and Louis Barron should have been given a screen credit.

The disc does have the original English language track, plus an option for German. It is full-frame, which in this case I suspect means it is an open-matte transfer. Picture quality is merely okay, about in line with the majority of foreign DVD's. Great color, though!

No special features whatsoever.

The film is Region 2 and PAL, so you will obviously need an all-region player to make this work for you.

Barely recommended.

This review was made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

JeffT.

Screenwriter
From%20the%20Earth%20to%20the%20Moon%20_1958_%20USA_.jpg

Joseph Cotton is extraordinarily good in this film. The "surprise" revelation at the conclusion is also quite clever as to the identity of the cryptically referred to "J.V."

In addition this grandly mounted epic has a who's who of former Universal Pictures 1940s stock company players including Henry Daniell, Patrick Knowles and Ludwig Stossel. That alone makes it more than worthy viewing.

I'd like to see a quality blu-ray release in North America (Region A).

I've heard that the original print negatives are no longer available and in the existing circulated source print there are some noticeable splices or breaks. Surely this must be a widescreen epic.

Anyway if possible a major (and recommended) restoration is definitely in order for FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON (1958).

FromEarthToMoon%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Jeff T.

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AaronChi