What's new

Hooking up the 811S to my existing components... (1 Viewer)

Bill_Wheeler

Auditioning
OK got the 811S coming this week from Goodguys.com and I was looking for opinions on connections. I have a Panny Tau 32" HDTV with the following

4 Svideo/Composite video connections (1 in front)
2 Component video connections
6 stereo audio input connections
1 variable stereo audio out (labeled out to amp)
1 composite video out

One of the main reasons, other than the incredible picture, I got this Panny Tau was because of all the wealth of connections for future expandability. I current have the following hooked up to the Panny Tau.

Component 1 - Panasonic RP56 DVD
Component 2 - GameCube
Svideo/Comp 1 - Dish 4900 Upgraded (optical out not connected)
SVideo/Comp 2 - None
Svideo/Comp 3 - Proscan Hi-Fi VCR (old)
SVideo/Comp 4 - None (this is the front panel connection)

How does the 811S fit in? Should I just hookup the Panny Tau's Variable Audio Out to the 811S? This would make switching from one connection to the next easier rather than having to switch the TV setting and the 811S setting each time. Would this arrangement lose the Dolby/DTS signal coming from the Satellite and DVD since I would be going through the TV's variable audio out? Another minus would be I would not be utilizing the optical out on the Dish 4900 or the Panny RP56 DVD in this configuration.

The more complicated connection scheme would be to hook each components audio out(analog or digital/optical) to the 811S reciever and the video to the TV but would entail multiple switching with different remotes to get the audio and video in sync, I think. I'm so confused......HELP!!

Edit: FYI the Speakers are the following

Mains - DCM Time Frame TF400 (Floor Standing)
Surround - JBL N24s
Rear - JBL N24s
Center - JBL N-Center
Sub - Sony SA-WM40

The DCM's have been sitting in the garage for 2 years so who knows if they work at all, so it might be N24S for Mains and Surround in a 5.1 configuration. N28s maybe later to go 7.1

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
The more complicated connection scheme would be to hook each components audio out(analog or digital/optical) to the 811S reciever and the video to the TV but would entail multiple switching with different remotes to get the audio and video in sync, I think. I'm so confused......HELP!!
Almost - this is the way to go - All audio / video to the receiver (TV - fixed audio only, no video), then the rec's video out to the TV. ONE VIDEO CABLE TO THE TV, FROM THE RECEIVER. (You may have to run one each of Composite [yellow] and S-video, as some receivers do not "convert". So, 2 cables possibly. If you ALSO need component, then 3.) I use my receiver do all of my video switching and it works great. The only TV switching I have to do is if I go from cable to a source, I switch the TV to it's Vid 1 input. Then as I cycle the receiver thru LD, DVD, VHS, I get the picture from each going to the TV, and the audio plays thru the rec.

Bill_Wheeler

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply, so your saying hook all video & audio connections to the reciever then one Video OUT to the TV. Can that be from the reciever's Component OUT to one of the TV's Component IN connections or will there need to be an additional connection from the reciever's SVideo Out to one of the TV's Svideo IN to handle SVideo/composite connections to the reciever? There's only one Audio out from the TV, labeled "out to AMP" and I believe it is variable (is affected by the TV's volume control).

Bill_Wheeler

Auditioning
Ok just reread your post and my early questions were answered. Me=Dummie

Any 811S owners know if the reciever converts the Svideo/composite connections so I can just hookup the component OUT on the reciever to one of the Component IN on the TV.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
Hi Bill,
It's OT but I have the DCM Time Frame 500's and have just purchased a pair of JBL S38's to audition.
I've had the TF-500 for 16 years of dependable listening, I'm sure yours will work fine! Only risk with the Time Frames, and Time Windows is inside the cloth sock that surrounds them is a foam underlay that can deteriorate if exposed to the elements, so hopefully your garage was well protected from the elements.
I've loved my Time Frames but I'm VERY impressed with the JBL S38's, an outstanding speaker...

I will be very interested to hear your opinions of the sonic quality of the 811s.

Bill_Wheeler

Auditioning
Thanks for the input on the DCM TimeFrame, I'll definitely let you guys know of my opinion of the 811S. I'm just tryin to figure out the easiest, most ergonomical way of connecting everything so I don't have to reach for 3 remotes each time I change the source. I got a schematic of the back panel from goodguys.com and it looks greek to me. Ironic that I can build and configure any type of computer you could want from scratch, but to me Home Theater is daunting.

BTW since I'm new here and no one knows...building and troubleshooting PC's are my passion. I custom build about 10~20 PCs a year; been doing it since 1991(it's a hobby I'm wierd that way). So anyone got a computer problem throw me a line I might be able to help(or point you in the right direction) and at least return the favor for the wealth of data I mined from these forums.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I may take you up on that when it's time to turn my old eMachine 366 into an HTPC...

Have you thought of doing that?

Bill_Wheeler

Auditioning
I've got an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ and Abit KR7A-RAID motherboard layin around from my last upgrade. (Currently on a P4-2.26 overclocked to 2.8 Ghz, 440 Mhz 512 mb DDR memory) I'm seriously considering taking the Athlon and building a HTPC, of course I will need lots of parts to build a PC but I'll get them on the cheap at NewEgg.com. NewEgg.com is the place to go for new and refurbished parts. HardOCP.com's www.Hardforum.com is the place to go for the DIY PC builder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks