What's new

Hooking up and using an amp (1 Viewer)

Stefan A

Second Unit
I just bought a used Adcom 555 but it will not have an instruction manual. The 555 manual at the adcom website is just a spec sheet.

What do you use to connect an amp to your receiver (acting as a preamp). Standard interconnects? Speaker wire?

Then, is the idea that you unhook whichever speakers you are intending to amplify and hook them up to the amp?

Once you do that, do you just turn it on and adjust your levels? Is it as simple as that?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yep, it's that simple.

1. take the rca cable, run it from the 'pre-out' on your receiver to the input on the amp.

2. take your speaker wires and move them from your receiver to your amp.

3. turn on your receiver, turn on your amp and enjoy!

i'm not sure what you mean by adjusting your levels...but i don't have any personal experience with outboard amps. maybe someone else can expound on that.

Stefan A

Second Unit
Thanks Ted,

By adjusting my levels, I mean that I have to match the mains (which is what I am hooking the amp to) to my other channels. If I were only listening to 2 channel stereo, I guess it wouldn't matter. But, I also use my setup for HT.

I am assuming that for my interconnects, I should buy the best I can afford. It's like any other interconnect or speaker wire - right?

Stefan

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
oh....
yes, you're correct.
you'll do all your speaker level adjustments via your receiver. i'm assuming you already have the calibration tools - spl meter and some sort of calibration dvd.
for the interconnects, go with what you're comfortable with. at the very minimum, get some radio-shack or acoustic research....from there the sky's the limit! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks