Hollywood vs. Your PC / Corporate Copyright Posse [merged thred]

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Sep 29, 2002.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

2. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I don't have to read the whole article to say that this will never work. First off I think the chances of a law like that passing are slim. Even if it were passed and the industry shut down the current file sharing services new ones would spring up, offshore if necessary.

4. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Yeah they did this quite awhile ago in Europe. The funny thing is that all of this high tech copy protection can be circumvented with a simple mark by one of these:
    [​IMG]
    No one controls the way I want to view media that I pay for, and NO ONE f**ks with my pc. [​IMG]

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

And I'm hoping that any firewall program can stop an intrusion.

Since these are done P2P, allowing only the other point in through a firewall would be easy to do. Their other problem is that if I copied a song from my CD to my PC, and they thought it was illegal and wiped it, they could have a suit on their hands.

This whole thing will never fly. We're talking illegal searches without warrants.

If they think that they are losing money they should just compare it to the start of the VHS recorders and examine how their income jumped.

6. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I think we are confusing two subjects here. One is the completely ubsurd law that is trying to be passed to allow the RIAA or copyright owner to go into our pc's and remove copyrighted material.
    The other is a new technology that first came about on the Celine Dion cd earlier this year in Europe. It had a protection device on it that wouldn't allow it to play in anything but a stereo. If you tried it on your pc it would crash it which this article is mostly about. They made a cd that was only playable in a standard stereo. If your stereo is your pc, well sorry but it won't play.
    That is why I posted the marker. You can defeat that so called copy protection with a marker so you can play it on your pc without having it crash it or cause damage.
    So this whole is not only are they trying to keep you from swapping files, but now they are trying to make it so that you can't even play the legal versions you buy from a store on your pc. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

Aren't they violating some part of the Compact Disc "spec"? By default, any cd with the "COMPACT disc" logo on it should play in EVERYTHING with that logo on it. With this copy protection, they are blantantly violating this.

I myself think it's just plain stupid to make a CD that only works in SOME CD players.

8. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I believe Philips was actually considering action to have the cd logo removed from these releases. That was a while ago so I guess nothing came of it.

I find this all absurd. The record companies must be puttin a lot of money into this and what is the result. They stopped a few people from playing the album on their computer but the people who share anything and everything have no problem defeating this and are still able to record the album with the line in in analog. Also people that sell bootlegs are still able to make copies.

Seems to me that the only thing that was accomplished was to piss off the paying customers. With descisions like this in the music industry I am actually surprised that their sales aren't falling faster.

9. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

If a local supermarket thinks that you, or someone in your neighborhood, might have been the person who stole a loaf of bread, they do not have the right to break into your house, to nail the doors shut, or to block all the public roads leading up to it.

Even the police would require a search warrant to break into your house to look for allegedly stolen groceries. A warrant which they wouldn't get unless they had more to present to a judge (checks and balances, what a concept!) than a mere suspicion.

Berman's bill is an attack on your right to be secure in your own property, and your neighbor's right to be secure in his or her own property. All in the name of securing artificial monopolies that already enjoy substantial legal protection. No, Congressman, it is not OK to run the Fourth Amendment through the paper shredder.

10. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

11. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter