What's new

Hmm... a little help on QSC's amplifier lines? (1 Viewer)

RichardHOS

Second Unit
I've seen QSC amps recommended for sub applications several times over the past severa weeks, and have browsed their site and some on-line retailers several times to get a feel for power/price/specs/etc.

Today I wanted to get a better idea of just where they stack up to the competition. After spending quite a while reading on QSC's site, I'm left a bit overwhelmed and confused.

Primarily, I haven't quite figured out what the major differences in their large array of lines are. Specs look very similar in many different lines, and power output overlaps in dozens of places it seems. I'm kinda scratching my head, thinking "so which ones are the 'good' ones?"

I see that most of their lines have a "70 volt" model(s). I'm assuming I don't need that, but what exactly is that for, and why don't I want those models?

QSC doesn't really delineate what their quality lineup is from top to bottom (not that I could really see). Could someone give me a hand in sorting this out?

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
this is pretty much off topic, but i saw a brand new QSC amp at the swap meet, it was the ISA series i believe and i think the guy was selling it pretty cheap! so if anybody in the orange county area want a QSC amp, look for it at the goldenwest swap meet....well back to you Rich, i think the difference runs along the lines of better design and sound quality...i dont know, i bet some expert around here can help you....btw is it cheaper to buy company direct? because qsc is right down the street from me...

RichardHOS

Second Unit
I haven't seen any links on their site for company direct purchasing, but I may have missed it. They have an "accessories" store online, but don't appear to sell their amps that way.

Anyone have the lowdown on the QSC lineup?

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
RichardHOS,
I think I can give you the “lowdown” on QSC’s lineup. Yes, we do make many different amplifiers (considering the 3 voltages—100V, 120V and 230V—and feature sets between amps and models, we make over 100 different amplifiers). We have four major markets we build and design for. Within these markets, the amps are designed with features for those specific markets. This is why you will see “overlaps” with specs with different models.
For example, the DCA, PLX, CX, and PL2 models are built off the same platform, but they all have differences in parts, features, and cosmetics, to make them unique:
- DCA: designed for the cinema market, and thus all 7 DCA models are THX certified.
- PLX: designed for the MI (musical instrument) retail market (musicians, music stores, etc.).
- CX: for the contracting market, of which can be found in many of the top stadiums, arenas, conventions centers, hotels, and churches—used quite extensively with our networking, routing, and DSP components.
- PL2: pro touring. Can be found used with many touring bands.

We also have other lines such as PowerLight (for touring, especially the PL 9.0 9000W baby, which has been used for all of the major awards shows of late—Emmy’s, Oscars, Grammy’s. Btw, for the recent Grammy Awards, 48 PowerLight 4.0s were used for mids and highs, and 24 PowerLight 9.0s were used to drive the lows, :emoji_thumbsup: ), RMX for MI market, ISA for contracting and cinema, and so on.

And for those looking for a specific very good home theater amp, we will soon be releasing the SRA series of amps geared for custom home theaters and studio use. The SRA series will have features and cosmetic looks specific for home and studio use. And just like all our other amps, the SRAs will have very good sound.

With all this in mind, if you scan the forum, you will notice many people are using the DCA and the RMX line for home theater and audio use. I personally have 3 DCA amps in my system, and yes, I will be adding an SRA or two shortly. :D
If you have some specific questions for your needs, just let me know. Until then, enjoy.

RichardHOS

Second Unit
Cool, thanks a ton John.

I'd be very interested in the new SRA line. Looks like the RMX is very popular, and has the "right stuff" as far as specs and (reported) sound, but the PLX does look quite a bit better... with correspondingly higher cost.

Any info on when the SRA line might debut, or any info at all for that matter?

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, I've been running a QSC MX 700 amp for 7+ years bridged mono into 4 ohms (VMPS Larger sub) and had no problem what so ever! This is even with a "Quiet" fan installed. You can't go wrong with any of the QSC's.

Arnold

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Richard,

I recalling seeing pricing for the SRA series (can't recall where at the moment) and I recall the cheapest amp was over $1k. There are better deals in the QSC line-up like the RMX or PLX series if you don't want to spend as much.

I have a PLX2402 myself.

Seth

RichardHOS

Second Unit
Thanks for the info Seth. I won't be needing one for quite a while yet, but as always was curious about them. Looks like QSC really is a great value, espeically for powerful sub amps.

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
As for the PLX and RMX lines, I would have to say the PLX is better. The S/N for one thing is better. And due to the switching power supply in the PLX, the rails are very very stiff—this is one reason it makes for an awesome sub or bass amp, it does not sag under heavy load. It is a very stable amp. It is also very good for the mids and highs as well. This however does not mean the RMX is mediocre, on the contrary, the RMX is a very good low cost alternative amplifier.

The SRA line also uses the switching power supply. It also has beefier caps, other designs, and is the top of the line amp on the platform it is based from. Other details:
Inputs: RCA, balanced XLR, and our DataPort connector.
Outputs: touch proof binding posts and Speakon.
There is also a 3.5mm mini jack for 12V DC remote on/off capability.
Other features include: active inrush limiting (will not blow circuit breakers at turn-on); a hum-free noise floor and ultra low distortion; tamper proof gain control security cover; LED indicators for power, signal, and clip; the usual short circuit, open circuit, DC, subsonic, ultrasonic, RF, and thermal overload protection; stable into reactive or mismatched loads; detachable rack ears included; selectable subsonic filters: off, 20Hz, or 50Hz; stereo, bridge, or parallel operation; clip limiters can be set to on or off; input stage uses precision 0.1% resistors; 3 year warranty plus optional 3 year extension available; faceplate choice either black or silver; optional DSP modules (attach to DataPort connector); all this in a 25lb 3.5” (2RU) high package.
Power specs (and these are conservative):
(8, 4, 2 ohms; bridged 8, 4 ohms)
SRA 1222: 200W, 350W, 600W; 750W, 1200W
SRA 2422: 425W, 725W, 1200W; 1600W, 2400W
SRA 3622: 725W, 1100W, 1800W; 2400W, 3600W

I hope this answers your inquiry of “any info.” As for availability, I’m hoping for late spring to early summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks