What's new

hitler's hollywood (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've just located what appears to be a terrific German documentary from 1917 entitled HItler's Hollywood, described as "Rüdiger Suchsland examines German cinema from 1933, when the Nazis came into power, until 1945 when the Third Reich collapsed".
My cursory glance suggests this is a really excellent survey .. especially as it seems to draw quite heavily upon one of my all-time historians and film theorists, Siegfried Kracauer, whose famous 'From Caligari to Hitler' has been in my bookshelves for more than 50 years.
While the copy I've found is viewable, I'd love to have this archived on Blu ray. Has anyone noted its presence anywhere?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I bought my Blu-ray from Amazon UK and it was released by Eureka. The disc also has the documentary From Caligari to Hitler.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I've just located what appears to be a terrific German documentary from 1917 entitled HItler's Hollywood, described as "Rüdiger Suchsland examines German cinema from 1933, when the Nazis came into power, until 1945 when the Third Reich collapsed".
Umm....huh? ;)

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Is this the one with Udo Kier's irritating narration? It opened in NY at the Film Forum but really did not find much success. I have the dvd but I found it disjointed and could not get through it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Only 100 years off - the release date was 2017!

KINO has a Region 1 DVD (They apparently also have a streaming version( which has not as of thus writing been updated to blu-ray. (The KINO DVD has the option to view the film in German with English Subtitles) The Eureka Region B blu-ray (which includes an R2 DVD) is probably the best way to go as it has:

• Option of the original German language version with optional English subtitles OR with English language narration by Udo Kier
  • From Caligari to Hitler: German Cinema in the Age of the Masses Director Rüdiger Suchsland s 2014 documentary on the social and cultural impact of German Cinema during the Weimar Republic (1918-1933)

Last edited:

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I found it fascinating. So many films I had never seen or heard of before! But the Caligari doc was even better. Well worth importing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks