Hissing and buzzing on center channel with DTS signal

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Cagri, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Hi. When the input mode is set to auto on my Denon 1802, the center channel produces a loud buzzing constantly when DTS material is played. I checked with the S&V HT tune up DTS test tones and same thing happens only on the center channel. If I set the input mode as DTS the sound is clean. Is this a sign of a defect or is it normal, any opinion please?

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Here's how my Yamaha receiver manual explains the unprocessed Dts signal noise phenomenon:

"If you play a source encoded with a Dts signal and set the input mode to AUTO, there will be a moment of noise while the unit recognizes the Dts signal and turns on the Dts decoder. This is not a malfunction. You can avoid this by setting the input mode to Dts beforehand."

If the "moment of noise" is very short, you cud just leave the input mode at AUTO.

A dts lite also lights up on the rcvr panel when playing this mode.

Still,I cant imagine why only your CC is affected...

bill

3. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

And the strange thing is, the receiver started to do this only a couple of days ago. I watched many DTS material without any problems before [​IMG]

My Denon's manual says about the same thing as your Yamaha manual for CDs and LDs, but adds that if the source material is a DVD, there shouldn't be such a problem because DTS data is printed on DVDs differently...