What's new

Hide the DVD in the Megachanger (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have the sony DVP 860 300+1 megachanger; the '1' being the EZ play slot which requires no loading for a DVD to be played.Works great except if I leave the DVD in the EZ slot when the changer is in off/standby; whereas it inconviently files the disc in a random empty slot.
When power is reapplied, it DOES NOT retrieve the disc.
Last time it happened, I had to take out 200+ discs to find the EZ disc
Anyone else have this problem? (problem or bad feature?)
Any ideas besides the "take the disc out everytime" or "no empty slots" options
Thanks
Grant
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Sorry I don't have an easy fix for your problem. But you've just documented another reason why I should be glad I bought the Pioneer Elite DV-F07 300+1 changer. In over a year of operation, with the tray only gradually filling up, (it is full now), but with the "+ 1" temporary slot in use frequently, it has never done what you describe with your Sony. It always returns "Disc 0" to the easy access slot.
Of course, what the Pioneer does NOT do is play a "flipper" without manually extracting the disc and turning it over. (That's why I have TWO copies of Amadeus in the tray.) :>) So we win some points and lose a few others...
Burke

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Burke
Most of the electronics which I own, fall into the sony ES line; which measures up to the Elite line.
I was hoping that I missed some setting or something which could solve the problem.
The 860 has some annoying tendacies but considering I got it open box "new" for $329 shipped (retail $800), I am not complaining.
Just curious, what do you do with the cases?For cds, you can file the covers into a cd storage case; DVD covers don't fit into anything.
Any suggestions on SW to keep track of them?
Thanks again
Grant

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Grant: I'm sorry, but that is just one of the funniest things I have ever heard. The player decides to file the disk in some random place. It's as bad as having kids. (At least it does not eject the +1 disk and leave it lying around on the entertainment center).
My suggestion would be to call Sony about a upgrade to the firmware. This sounds like a bad bug. Just make sure you know the steps to reproduce it.

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Grant -
I have a wooden rack that used to hold DVDs. Now it just holds DVD cases. :>) Bought it unfinished at K-Mart, so I could paint it flat black to match my equipment racks. I could have stained it if I had wanted to match the furniture in another room. "Some assembly required", but it was inexpensive.
As for tracking software, I use a home grown MS Access database for DVDs and Laserdiscs. I do not try to import case cover photo scans or include bios on all the principle actors, etcetera, but I do keep track of title, director, when I bought it, where purchased, price paid, whether it is letterbox, 5.1 and "status" (now in collection, given away as gift, preorder, etcetera) plus comments (such as "part of Kubrick Collection Box Set" since I record each title separately but only put the price in once). I used to try to keep a counter going of how many times I watched each one, but hardly ever remembered to update it, so I don't bother with that anymore.
Hope that helps -
Burke
[Edited last by Burke Strickland on July 10, 2001 at 04:33 PM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I have to assume that you have some spaces between your DVD's. Well, take them out. If you had 240 DVD's, your 'extra' would have to be between 241 and 300.
Glenn

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Much thanks for the help. Intially when I loaded, I left spaces so I could bunch comedies etc together and for future buying sprees...those are all now gone.
As for the cases....http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28843.html
You can see the armoire I modified for my A/V stuff. All those drawers were pretty much filled with CD & DVDs.
I have since gone to the "store the things in Megachangers
and hide the boxes in the crawl space" plan.
The 1st 2 cd changers; I put the cd covers in albums but that works so-so
Albums are big & bulky
Covers sometimes don't list tracks
Many cds come in cardboard boxes that don't fit
DVD covers don't fit
BE nice to have the info stored in a 3 ring binder
sorted by changer/ alphabetical/theme or catagory
Track order /info all downloaded and printed
As for the sony making up for me not having kids (and scotties don't have oposable thumbs hence they can't open jewel cases}...when I dialed Customer Service and HAL came on the phone and said it would be answered in fffffoooouuurrtttttty ffffiiiivvveee miiinnnnuuueeetts ...I pulled his plug (and no Daisy!) and came here for a real answer

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Well, I keep track of mine 3 ways. The first way is the internal list the player makes. I know not a good way. The next is I have a old hand held, so I hava list in Excel with the name and slot location. The last, and best in my mind is the Pronto. I just flip thru all my DVD's in there, and push one button. It loads the disk for me, no sweet. I even have a program that will keep track for me. I have been thinking about getting the 300+1 DVD changer from Sony. I have the 200 disk one now. The only problem I have now is, I don't have enough inputs on my reciver. Come on Outlaw, release the next version already.
wink.gif

------------------
Jeff Blair
OK, I need a new sig. :)
My DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks