What's new

Help w/name of made for television 80's movie (1 Viewer)

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Hope this is the right place to post it.

Okay, I believe it was mid-later 80s, and on NBC if I recall correctly. Basically about the United States under terrorist attacks. I think it centered largely in New York as well, with Middle Eastern (Libyans?) terrorists taking revenge.

I remember it was a multi-part show, and the trailer on television showed two guys walking briskly down the street lobbying grenades into shops (one example).

It was definitely during the Reagan years, and maybe shortly after our little "excursion" into Libya.

Anyone remember the name of the movie, and who starred in it?

Sorry, reminicising about the 80s today and that came up.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Hmm, do you suppose it might be the mini-series Amerika? Originally broadcast on ABC, I believe. Here's Link Removed. Other than that title, the only one similar I can recall is World War III with David Soul, but I don't remember any scenes in it such as those you describe. Cheers.
DS.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Nah, wasn't Amerika. That's the one with the Soviets taking over.

The movie I'm referring to was terrorist related.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't SPECIAL BULLETIN the one where it ended with a nuke? And didn't WW3 take place in Alaska? That was a good show, even with David Soul in it (I was a Starsky fan, not Hutch :D ).

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Nope, not Special Bulletin.

No, this one was around the mid-late 80's with Middle-Eastern terrorists trying to strike back at America. I know, sounds like a sick repeat of last year (but not even close).

This film (again, trying to remember) had hostage situations, suicide bombers, and general terrorism centered around I believe New York City and Washington. And no, this is not 9-11 or Al Queda related if anyone is curious.

I just remember this mini-series being a big deal. I'd like to remember the name and locate a copy (if available) and view it again.

If it wasn't for the Day After discussion in the Software forum, I'd never have remembered "Special Bulletin" which I also saw in school.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Now it's driving ME crazy too! I can see the scenes where the terrorists are lobbing bombs into stores. I think maybe that was used on the commercials.

Argh!

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Scott,
BINGO
That's the commercials I remember. I saw the mini-series, but hey, I was much younger and not thinking of recording back then.
I do remember one of the terrorists/suicide bombers being chased down by agents (FBI?) and realizing he's going to get caught (after his plan is foiled) stands in front of a train and blows himself up.
Someone remember the name? I wrote to NBC ('cause that's what channel I remember it on) but no response.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
After doing some mega-searches at IMDb, I've come up with two other possibilities:
World War III
Link Removed
-or-
Countdown to Looking Glass
Link Removed
(I think it MAY be World War III...)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I remember Special Bulletin because the terrorists set up a nuke on the U.S.S. Yorktown which is now a museum permanently parked in Charleston S.C., and I lived in Charleston at the time.
I did some searching on IMDB. Maybe it's this one:
Under Siege (1986) (TV)
Terrorists launch an attack against the USA. Their first strike is by a suicide squad that detonates a truckload of explosives at an army base in Washington DC. FBI probes indicate that the attack is by Arab terrorists led by Iranians. Subsequent attacks are via airplanes exploded in mid-air, crowded restaurants, and an attack on a mall. Administration cabinet heads push the President (Hal Holbrook) to retaliate. The director of the FBI (Peter Strauss) believes that there may be more to the story than the investigation has revealed and the Secretary of Defense (Paul Winfield) is the only other person urging caution.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Be careful what words you enter, as Big Brother may be watching... A safe and sane Memorial Day to all!

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Countdown to Looking Glass was (i believe) a made-for-HBO movie about an escalating crisis involving the middle east.

The title based on the code name of Air Force One would change to Looking Glass if the prez was to board it and make it the online command post during a war/crisis in which he would be advised to not be in DC...

It was actually pretty good, I had it on tape somewhere.

Special Bulletin...
the terrorists had a nuke, but it wasn't on the Yorktown, the reporters who filmed the explosion at the end were on the Yorktownl The bomb was supposedly on a small fishing boat that they came in on.
Where's the DVD of this one??? I remember watching it the first time it was on (a Sunday nite on NBC) and the constant disclaimers about it being a 'dramatization' and 'not an actual news broadcast' but still scaring the spit out of a lot of people.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Off-Topic –

Any airplane the POTUS is on will always have the designation of “Air Force One”. “Looking Glass” is an airborne command post with military leaders to coordinate military responses. I forget what airframe “Locking Glass” is based upon, but it is not 747 Jumbos that servers as the current AF1 / AF2. Additionally, “Locking Glass” and “Air Force One” have numerous communications links that allow POTUS to be briefed of the situation from data transmitted to “Looking Glass” from numerous military communications channels.

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Win Joy --

I believe you are correct, my bad. The 'Countdown to Looking Glass' title referred to the fact that the Joint Chiefs plane being referred to as 'Looking Glass' would not occur except during national crises (such as a war)....

I will have to do some research into this and get back to you.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I get the feeling you are going to have a hard time find a specific version of Link Removed
keep us informed if you have any luck.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
of course that's the one he wants, but a request to most sources for 'under siege' will probably end up with Steven Seagal as an answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks