What's new

Help - Radio Station Interfering With Cable Analog Station (1 Viewer)

Troy EB

Grip
Does anyone know of any tweaking to correct this problem?: On my cable system, Game Show Network (GSN) is broadcast on analog Channel 96. I keep getting squiggly lines on this station only. When I pull out the cable input wire while watching channel 96 only, I can hear a local radio station being broadcast. All my other cable stations are perfectly fine. The cable company is not providing much help. I pay $100 a month for COMCAST and this picture quality is unacceptable! Does anyone have any ideas to correct this problem? Is there a type of filter I could buy to filter out the radio station and improve my reception on this channel? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or help.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
A strange problem, but probably has an easy solution.
It seems incredible to me that "Channel 96" is in the same frequency band as FM broadcast, so it's probably a cross-interference problem [2d harmonic or something]. You can buy at Radio Shack a notch filter which cuts out FM transmissions, so try that first.
On the other hand, broadcast signals shouldn't be coming in to your cable system. Check for loose connectors and the like; try wrapping the cable input with aluminum foil if necessary. There may be a loose splice somewhere between your service drop and your TV which would allow signals in, but if you get the audio while the cable is disconnected I would say that either the connection to the box is bad, or your cable box is broken - a loose joint in the IF circuitry perhaps.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
before you buy anything call Comcast. You problem is called ingress and it is something that they should be able to fix. It is likley just a loose or bad connector somewhere in your house or in thier cable system and it needs to be fixed.

KurtBJC

Agent
Cable channel 96 is right on top of the FM band--the video is at 97.25 MHz. So it's going to be difficult to solve the problem with any sort of notch filter; the problem is shielding, and you may or may not be able to solve it. If the spurious signal is getting into the system before it gets to your house, nothing you can do is likely to help; and if it's getting in through some path other than the antenna input, shielding the cabinet for your display is usually hard to do effectively. It's possible, at least, that the problem is in your cabling. The first thing I'd do would be to check that all of your F-connectors in your system are tight. If that doesn't resolve matters, you might try using a more heavily shielded rf cable.

Troy EB

Grip
Thanks for everybody's help. This is a wonderful forum, and I appreciate everyone taking time out to respond. I have a technician from COMCAST coming out this weekend, and I will mention everything said above. I did try wrapping my cable input with aluminum foil. This did help improve the picture slightly. Hopefully, I can get the situation corrected this weekend. However, I don't think I am the only one experiencing this problem in my area. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks