What's new

Help pls - Adding a DTS to a Marantz AV-550 (1 Viewer)

Bob Sisson

Agent
I have a wonderfull Marantz AV-550 that has served me well.
However, more and more of the Movies are coming with DTS soundtracts as an Option.
I would like to ADD an External DTS decoder like the Mellennium, but am unsure of what would be connected to what.
Ideally the Mellenium would go inline between my DVD player and the AV-550 and convert DTS to something the Marantz undertands when it saw DTS, and just pass through standard Dolby Digital and CD-Audio.
Is this wishfull thinking ??
Email: Bob Sisson

PomingF

Second Unit
Bob, 5point1.com has the manual of the Milly you can download to read about connection options. My Onkyo has jumpers between it's preamp-ins & amp-outs I had to remove when adding the Milly.

The DVD player's digital out goes into the Milly, if DTS, the Milly will decode and send the 5.1 analog signal to the Onkyo's amp hence bypassing it's preamp section. DD or CD/PCM digital signal from the player will pass through the Milly to the Onkyo's preamp which does the decoding then passes the 5.1 analog signal through the Milly again to the Onkyo's amp section. Denon receivers has an external decoder switch hence don't need the analog return connections back to the Milly but with my Onkyo's connection you don't even need to know when to flip the switch for the Milly will do it automatically.

Hope it helps.

PF

JohanK

Second Unit
Assuming the AV550 is the DD preamp I'm thinking of, you would need 5.1 ins for you to be able to use the Milly b/t the DVD player and Marantz. O/w, you would use the Milly b/t the Marantz and external amplifier. Either way works fine.

derek

Second Unit
Don't forget the Technics AC-500D DD/DTS decoder which would also work well in your setup. An excellent performer for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks