What's new

Help: Pioneer LD player - brake cleaning... (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I know someone on this furm knows how to clean the brakes on the big Pioneer chassis (CLD-D704, Elite 79, 99) LD players. PLease if you will, post the information on this thread. My CLD-99 needs this service BAD and I don't want to send it to a shop.
Thanks in advance!
------------------
Philip Hamm

Joohoon L

Grip
Sorry to be slightly off topic, but I'm a laserdisc newbie and I have no idea what a brake cleaning is. Can someone explain this to me? Will my Pioneer cld-d406 ever need one, or is it only for the higher end models like the ones Philip mentions above? Thanks.
------------------
Have you got a 27B-6?

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Your not actually cleaning a "brake", but the thin rubber ring which supports the disc on top of the spindle motor. The symptom of a player that needs that ring cleaned is usually one where you press either STOP or EJECT while a disc is spinning and the player takes about 30 seconds to eject the disc. You see, the spindle motor doesn't just stop spinning the disc when you press STOP, but actually torques itself down for a couple of seconds. The contact between the rubber ring under the weight of the LD is usually enough to stop the disc quickly. Only when a speed sensor detects the LD has stopped, will the spindle motor lower the disc onto the disc tray and eject the tray. Grease buildup on the rubber ring will cause the disc to loose adhesion to the rubber ring and spin during the "braking" action. Once the "braking" stops, the spindle spins freely. If the disc has spun on a greasy rubber ring, it will still have momentum after the spindle has stopped braking, and will slowly spin down for about 30 seconds until it stops. The player will detect the disc has FINALLY stopped and eject the disc! To clean the ring, remove the player cover, run a Q-tip saturated with a small amount of head cleaner or alcohol that doesn't contain lotions around the ring several times. Allow to dry completely and test :)
Jim

John Welch

Stunt Coordinator
Also be aware that if after cleaning, the player still exhibits this kind of behavior it probably needs the spindle motor replaced. This is typically about $225-250 for the parts and labor.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Well said Jim!
I'd like to add that if you can not reach the brake pad you can remove the top of the mechanism to get an easier angle. The top piece (with ball bearings) is held in place with four screws.
Cleaning the brake pads is an easy to do fix.
Mike Sava originally guided me through the process on my elite 99 player. Thanks Mike.
Gregg
------------------
Sonodome ; Gregg's DVDs ; Link Removed

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys for the info. This slow eject has happened to my CLD-79 a few times over the last couple of months. I was not sure why it would do this. The next time I would play a disc it would work fine. I will have to take a close look and hopefully cleaning the ring will correct it.Sounds like replacing the spindle motor would cost a fortune.
Thanks again.
------------------
Trevor
shellshock2.gif

SCHELL SHOCKED Virtual Theater
Link Removed

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info everyone.
I just had the spindle motor replaced a few months ago on my CLD-D704 after 5 years of fairly heavy use. Cost me $180 including parts and labor. This is not that bad really IMO compared to buying a new player :). These motors wear out, it's a fact of LD life. I will archive this thread.
------------------
Philip Hamm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks