What's new

Help!! Onkyo TX-NR900 or Denon AVR-3803 (1 Viewer)

Colson

Auditioning
I looking to buy a new receiver in the $1000 range and am not sure what to get. I think I have narrowed it down to the Onkyo or Denon but I need some feedback to make the final call. Any opinions on those two or some suggestions for something I have overlooked would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have also been thinking about the Sony STR-DA9000ES because of the 170 per chan but I haven't seen a lot of positive feedback on that one.

Thanks,

CurtisC

Second Unit
For H/T the Onkyo may be ok,for music forget it,imo.The Denon is a great all around performer,again imo.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the Denon and love it. This is my first H/T reciever so I can't give you a comparison per say but I can offer some feedback.
I found the interface and setup a bit confusing at first but like I said this is my first HT experience do I think that's to be expected. In the past few months I have done some tweaking and tuning and have found it very managable and flexible.
The remote was also confusing at first but I have found it to be an acceptable universal remote. I am able to use it 90% of the time and it covers the bulk of the functions on my equipment.
I have taken advantage of the video upconversion feature and have run all my video sources through it without any noticable degredation
I think it also offers a lot of flexibility in terms of inputs and I like the fact that it allows me to choose from multiple outputs from one source e.g. I can choose to use the digital output of my cable box for 5.1 movies or just watching TV but I can also switch to the stereo analog outputs for concerts etc. I can do the same with my DVD player as well as my CD player which offers digital and analog outs. I have found with some experimentation that in some cases I prefer the analog to the digital source and really like the ability to switch. The cost here is of course in extra cables but I really enjoy the option.
I use it to drive my Boston Acoustic VR 975 mains and it sounds great for music and movies. Very smooth and clean and lot's of definition.
I have to tell you that I also auditioned some Polk speakers and thought it was a bit bright in that case and had I gone with the polks I might have brought home a Yamaha reciever instead. I don't think that means anything except the Yamaha was a better match to the Polk's than the Boston's.
The unit lacks front panel inputs which is a big deal for some people. I would like to have one more set of component video inputs but I don't think any A/V reviever in this price range offers more than two.
The front panel controls take a bit of getting used to as well. I would really like to have seperate bass and treble knobs on the front panel instead the unit has a tone button and a single knob that covers many functions including tone controls.
Overall I am very pleased. The 3803 looks good and sounds great and has plenty of muscle in terms of power and features. I doubt you would be dissapointed with this piece.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I'll tell you what, I don't know if this speaks positive for Denon or negative for Onkyo. But I recently hooked up 5.1 analog outputs from my Denon DVD 1600 to my Onkyo TX-DS898($1500 retail 2 yrs ago, though of course didn't pay that). I started buying multi-channel audio discs and began comparing the digital(which uses the Onkyo DAC's) to the analog(which uses the Denon's DAC's)for sound quality. The Denon most certainly sounds clearer. Since the Denon DVD player uses the same DAC's in the receiver(3803, Burr Brown) I would assume the quality should be the same. I can't speak for what Onkyo is using currently, but I'd get the Denon 3803 based on my experience. Hell, I might be switching over myself after I try a cable change to see if this is possibly the culprit, if not, I might at least demo a 3803. Besides this new developement, I can say I've been pretty happy with the Onkyo though.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
Both are good receivers. I would demo them both and see which one sound best to you.(best if they are side by side) What sounds good to someone might not sound good to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks