What's new

Help on Elite DVD Players (1 Viewer)

GregLude

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Hello Need some Help.

I'm running a Pioneer Elite "50" PRO-1140HD

What dvd player would work with me the best?

Pioneer Elite DV-46AV

Pionner Elite Blu-Ray BDP-HD1

Thanks for your help :)

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Well this is the HD DVD forum, so I will recommend a Toshiba HD-A2 over either Pioneer Elite model. At $500 the HD-A2 is one third of the price of the BDP-HD1. The HD-A2 is an outstanding player and can certainly give the BDP-HD1 a run for its money.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I work in a Magnolia HT department, and we don't have any BluRay players yet from Pioneer. Apparently they are available for "preorder" The DV-46AV is a fine "universal" upconvert DVD player that will work great for SD-DVD, as well as DVD-A and SACD, and for only $300.

The HD-A2 would also be an awesome companion to your TV, as Greg said.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

yes but maybe he wants Blu-ray player not HD DVD.

- it's clear that he wants a PIONEER player...
- and for his new nice PLASMA a pioneer blu-ray will be nice

Greg go for Pionner Elite Blu-ray BDP-HD1 ! :)

Marek

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I saw one (the pioneer) about 2 weeks ago, a very slick unit if you can afford it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

While the performance of the HD-DVD platform is really good. Unless I am mistaken the HD-A2 is still a 1080i player just like the HD-A1. And the Pioneer BDP-HD1 is a 1080p player like the Toshiba HD-XA2 which is also a 1080p player.

While the Pioneer BDP-HD1 looks like a really nice player and can play mpeg and mp3 files off your pc. The main reasons I will not buy that player is that there is no internal decoder for Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio and it only has 5.1 analog outputs. I am not sold on converting DT-HD or DTS-HD to LPCM just to use the multi-channel HDMI.

If you do not care about the converting of Dolby or DTS to PCM over HDMI then you might still concider the Pioneer Bluray player. Or if not look into the Panasonic BD-10 Blu-ray player that will be upgradeable to DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD decoding, 7.1 analog outputs and will play DVD-A discs as well. To my knowledge no other player has this capability right now. There are features I really like in the Pioneer but without the ability to decode DTS-HD Master Audio I prefer the Panasonic.

And so far I think that retailers are only taking pre-orders so far as I know of no retailers that actually have players available for sale yet. The Panasonic is available now and the update for internal decoding should be out around April 07.

If you where to look at one of Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi flagship dvd players it retails for about $1,000. So if you where in the market for a high quality flagship player then for $500 more you could have the ability to play Bluray and files off your pc network as well using the Pioneer BDP-HD1, retail $1500. The Panasonic BD-10 retails for about $200 less at this time at $1300.

My money will be spent on the Panasonic BD-10 Bluray player as I am currently saving up to purchase it in 07'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks