What's new

Help! New Waterford Girl DVD aspect ratio?1 (1 Viewer)

DVD Empire has it listed as 1.33:1, but Amazon and Image Entertainment list it as "widescreen." I pre-ordered this from Deep Discount DVD, but now I'm concerned that I be getting a cropped version. Can anyone confirm the aspect ratio of the DVD from Wellspring/Fox Lorber that comes out next week? (Apparently, there's a Canadian version of the DVD already in release)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
The Canadian DVD from Alliance Atlantis is also 1.33:1, hot in the day of Alliance doing full-frame transfers. So most likely the Fox Lorber version is just a port from that one. If Alliance released this disc NOW, it would be at its correct 1.85:1 theatrical aspect ratio and 16x9 enhanced. Arghhhh......
Alliance did say at one point they wanted to go back and fix this one and "Croupier," which is also full frame, but nothing has come of that since.
Jason

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So most likely the Fox Lorber version is just a port from that one.
Not that I expect anything good from F-L, but what leads you to belive that they will port the Alliance version? Have they done so with other movies in the past?

Do it right Wellspring! Prove to us that you are changing the company for the better!

Ted

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I don't have the exact specs for the US release, but I'd imagine if its full frame, then it would be a port from the Alliance release, that's all.
If it is 16x9 or 4:3 letterbox, I'll be importing a copy for sure!
Jason

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
Image Entertainment's website has these specs:
Audio Format: 5.1 Dolby Digital
Screen Format: Widescreen
16x9: Yes
Special Features: Trailer; Filmography
I hope they're right. :)
Here's the cover art:
Link Removed

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone checked this yet? I looked at the back cover on DVD Planet, but it didn't indicate the aspect ratio from what I could see.

The back cover did list the special features, though:

5.1 mix

Trailer

Filmographies

Featurette

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Funny, I was just thinking about this thread earlier today. Also waiting for news on the US release.
Jason

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I stuck my neck out and ordered it from DDD. I will report when it arrives (it has shipped, which means I'll get it by the end of next week...darned media mail).

Ted

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have a review copy here, and the Wellspring version is NOT anamorphic, though it is 1.85 and 5.1.- my review is coming soon. This is one I'd like to see Criterion take on, what a great flick!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
what a great flick!
It sure is!
Allan Moyle fans -- the following DVDs of his films are anamorphic widescreen, and are all worth seeing.
Times Square (features a first rate director/star commentary track -- bravo, Anchor Bay)
Pump Up The Volume
Empire Records
X Change (a noticeable soundtrack synch problem on this one.)
DVD has really helped me follow his career -- I only saw Times Square & The New Waterford Girl at the theater and have caught up to the rest on DVD.
Jailbait is also out on DVD, but apparently P&S.
Ted

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't Jailbait made for TV?
I love Pump Up the Volume and Empire Records (wish the DVD would've at least included some of the deleted scenes). I'll have to check out X Change and Times Square, which is currently on sale for $6.99 at K-Mart with a slew of other Anchor Bay titles.
Thanks for the recommendations, Ted. :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I FINALLY got my New Waterford Girl DVD last night and had a chance to watch a few minutes of the movie & the featurette.
As Jeff said, the transfer is NOT anamorphic, and pretty bad even for a non-anamorphic transfer at that. New Wellspring, meet old Fox-Lorber :frowning: The featurette is a typically uninformative piece of fluff (though worth it just to see what Allan Moyle looks like -- not what I pictured, that's for sure...)
In spite of the bad transfer, I would still recommend getting this DVD, especially if you haven't had a chance to see New Waterford Girl -- it is such a great movie, it is worth putting up with the bad transfer.
Ted

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I watched this again the other night, and while the transfer isn't great it isn't THAT bad (compared to some of the discs I've had to review lately which I've seen Quicktime movies with a better image). This is one title I hope Criterion scoops up though, as I'd love to have a perfect version. This is in my top 5 films of this year already, it is simply brilliant.

I thought the making of was better than average, not just a "it was great to work with bla bla bla, he is brilliant" piece. There was some informative stuff from the writer, director and cast.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
Maybe I've just been luckier than you in terms of the quality of the stuff I've watched lately, but it did suffer in comparison. For instance, the non-anamorphic Image DVD of Jacques Rivette's Bande des quatre (Gang of Four) was way better. Granted in this case the source material didn't look all that great.
I agree with you that the making of was better than average, but the "average" I just turn off after 30 seconds. I keep wishing for something of the quality of Moyle's Times Square commentary.
I'm glad you liked the movie as much as I did.
Ted

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think my review of this is going up tonight. While I'm not saying there isn't substantial room for improvement, the disc is far from unwatchable. I didn't see this in theatres, so I'm assuming that grey overcast look is intentional, but I could have done without the compression issues or aliasing. The soundtrack is great.

This was easily one of the best films I've seen in recent times, and caught me offguard like Careful, He Might Hear You did - a superbly crafted film, with excellent performances, and a near perfect construction.

I'm curious as to how well a lot of the Canadianisms played to audiences outside the country, as there are a lot of in-jokes in this film.

I would love to have commentary on this, not just from Moyle but also from the cast.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I'm curious as to how well a lot of the Canadianisms played to audiences outside the country, as there are a lot of in-jokes in this film.
You're right, although, I felt this film had a lot of crossover appeal for American audiences. It told a story about a small town well, and wasn't full of "eh's," "y'knows" and "aboots" that populate so many of today's Canadian films. Plus Liane Balaban has this "artie Natalie Portman" look to her that will make her irresistable to anyone who sees this film. :)
Interesting discussion about the transfer as well. Still, I will be obtaining the disc one of these days, and it will be better than the full frame, 2.0 Alliance Atlantis version any day of the week. ;)
Jason

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I thought it clever that in the documentary they show what Mooney's dad is referring to in the "this ain't the Legion" line. ;)
I agree that this wasn't made to be a stereotypical Canadian film, and both lead actresses were excellent. I also liked that they cast sisters for Mooney's sisters, they had some great lines "I'm top up only" or the advice on lot 11.
There are so many priceless moments in this film.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Personally, my favourite line was

"You fuckin' Ontario lesbo bitch!"

which had us on the floor of the theatre.

What a great movie. And ya gatta love Nicholas Campbell. Hey, anyone heard anything regarding a video release of DaVinci's Inquest? I'd buy that.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Aaron, yes, that too was hilarious. :)
Has anyone seen Margaret's Museum? The comments on IMDB reference this in relation to NWG.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks