What's new

Help Me Replace My CD Player (1 Viewer)

Lin Park

Second Unit
Moving has claimed the life of my Sony SCD-C555ES player so I am looking for a replacement. I bought the unit quite sometime ago from Tweeter and it was a floor sample so they didn't have the original packaging. During the move the buttons on the top right of the face plate were driven back into the unit and fractured one of the main boards. If you listen real hard, you can hear me crying in multi-channel super audio at this point.

I'd really love a new universal disk player that could replace my Panasonic RP-91 and the Sony that was damaged but I'm not really sure what is currently available. Can you please recommend something that has similar audio quality to my old 555ES as well as something that would be a step up from the old RP91 player from a DVD-V and DVD-A standpoint?

Thanks,
Lin

Lin Park

Second Unit
Looking for DVD-A, SACD, good redbook CD, and only care about progressive scan via Component at this point.

Hoping to keep it to around $500 but will consider higher if the value is there. I really liked the quality of sound from Sony 555ES and I really liked the quality of the RP91 - I've been so happy that I haven't even kept up to speed on what's out there now and that is the reason for this post.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
See if you can find a used Denon 2900 or 5900. They have an excellent 480p picture equal to that of your rp-82, and the audio is top notch. And they include proper bass managemant for all discs.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, it's probably not quite as good as the 555, but Oade has the 2000ES, which is said to be an updated version of the 222ES for I believe $200. My 222 is still going strong but has occasional problems with the tray, so I'm thinking about getting one of these guys. I also have the Denon 2900 and I can say, the 222 is better with SACD, but it is an excellent DVD player, good redbook and also has the benefit of DVD-A. I know a guy selling a silver one right now.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
I've got a week-old Denon 1920 that I'm very happy with in terms of the performance on DVDs, DVD-A, and CDs. Don't have an SACD to try but a couple are on the way from Amazon.com at this very moment. No doubt in my mind you'd be very happy with the 2900 if you can find one. The new 2910's are very cool but at $739 MSRP a bit above my budget while the 1920 at $350 MSRP seemed to be excellent value and, so far, I'm happy. Only weak points on the 1920 are the fact that the tray seems a little flimsy and the manual needs some serious editing by someone whose 1st language was English.

mark tu

Grip
I have the Denon DVD-2910 and am very pleased with it - for both audio and video... Has both DVI and HDMI outputs.
Mark

Lin Park

Second Unit
Well, after much research I had decided to go with the Denon 2900. First, I took my old Sony by an authorized service center and they told me the face plate assembly was no longer available for my unit and that the display board behind the display plate was too badly damaged to repair.

Before completely giving up, I gave Sony Parts a call and they said the board was available but it was on BackOrder. I requested one and they are claiming it will take 4 to 6 weeks to deliver. I really hope this works out because I'd love to keep this unit.

I'll let you know how it goes and will definitely applaud Sony if this works out. If it doesn't, I'll be very disappointed in a company that offers a 5 year warranty on a high-end product and then tells you the parts aren't available 3 years after you buy it.

Thanks for the advice to everyone and wish me luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks