What's new

Help me plan Orlando (Disney) Vacation (1 Viewer)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Matt- you might look at the Yacht and Beach Club as a lower priced alternative. Almost as nice, and similar feel on the inside, IMO.
Do a Google search on Disney Resort Deals or Hotel Deals, or somesuch. I turn up some decent % off every now and then.

My wife wants to stay on property with our daughter for a few days in September. Yes, I live across town from the parks.:) She wants the "full experience," as it were.

True story- I've lived here 10 years, and have never been to Sea World. Also, I've only been to Islands of Adventure for about 1/2 hour (long enough to ride Spiderman, and my best friend works as a tech there and can give me FREE TICKETS. Sad, no?:b

Todd

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I would also recommend the Boardwalk as an alternative to the Floridian. What does you wife like about the Floridian? Keep in mind that the majority of the rooms are in the surrounding buildings and you will have to walk outside to get to the main building with the lobby. The rooms in the main building are much more expensive I beleive than the others.

A general tip on getting a better room for the money is to ask to be upgraded at check in. Of course you should be prepared to stay in the room you have paid for but if you are going in an off peak time and htere are plenty of the nicer rooms available, the front desk people will sometimes upgrade you for free.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
What does you wife like about the Floridian? Keep in mind that the majority of the rooms are in the surrounding buildings and you will have to walk outside to get to the main building with the lobby.
Because that is the only hotel at Disneyworld where she has ever stayed. She said she would gladely stay at another Disney resort, but I want to try and suprise her.

-- Matt

Howie A

Second Unit
I second The Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue
http://www.mousesavers.com/entertainment.html#hoop
Some good eating with a fun show. Try and get a seat on the lower level you have a better chance of being picked to participate. Which makes for a good time and some great pictures and memories. I still laugh at the pictures of my wife as a "La-chok-a-racha" dancer.
(sorry I forgot the real name of it) :)

Also look into Early Entry and E-Ride Nights at http://www.mousesavers.com/timeismoney.html

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
DEFIANTELY plan on spending 1 full day at Universal Islands of Adventure. It's my favorite park w/ great rides like the Dueling Dragons, the Dudley Do-Right flume ride, and of course the HULK (best rollercoaster... ever). Universal Studios (the movie-themed park) is worth about 1/2 a day and then maybe you can go see Sea World, which is worth another half of a day (they also have a REALLY cool new roller coaster that I need to try when I get a chance). Kennedy Space Center is awesome if you are into space travel at all... you'll be amazed by the whole thing (at least I was in 8th grade, heh). Definately make that a day-trip though... as you will have to drive from the center of Florida over to the coast.

October is gonna be getting a little chilly (at least for ME) and the heat dissapates... so I wouldn't really worry about "beating-the-heat".

For accomidations, my parents SWEAR by the HARD ROCK HOTEL in Universal Orlando. It's a BEAUTIFUL hotel and especially great if you are into rock music :)

If you are a REAL coaster-nut... you might wanna trek over to Tampa to check out Busch Gardens too. Amazing coasters over there!

I feel bad for you guys that have to pay all this $$$ to come here to Orlando... I can just walk out my door, drive for 20 minutes down the road and I am at the door. Plus Florida residents can get 2 years at Uni/Islands for $169.99 right now though a promotion (at Burger King). :D Disney is FAR pricier though! (around $300 per year)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I also should point out that we've had excellent results using Priceline to score great hotel deals in the WDW/Universal area. When we went over the Fourth, we got our four nights at the WDW Hilton for only $54/night. And when we went in May, we used Priceline to get four nights at the Renaissance Orlando Resort across from Sea World (largest standard size rooms I've ever seen) for only $58/night. You can't get the Disney-owned resorts on Priceline (though the nearby Swan and Dolphin are available), but the deals on great area hotels are tough to beat.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
My wife our children (2,5,7) and I visit Orlando a few times a year. Here is a run down of what we've learned. It may be different if you hav no children along.

1) Disney busses are not very convinient. Better the tram. You pay through the nose for a hotel with it!

2) MGM was maybe good for half day. Epcot is about a 3/4 day. The Magic Kingdom was dissapointing. (Tomorrowland looks outdated if you can imagine - like the Jetsons) Animal Kingdom was cool, but VERY crowded. Using the fast pass just forces you to backtrack... alot.

3) Univeral and IOA is a bit more diversified and modern than Disney with far more coasters. My whole family prefers it.

4) If you don't mind dropping a bill or two on dinner, make reservations at Emeril's (Universal City Walk). Make them soon. Prepare to see what fine dining is really like. Get the Chef's dinner and let him/her show off.

5) Though it is probably too late, the Universal hotels are more affordable than WDW with boats to the park every 15 minutes. Almost as good as the tram at 1/3 the price.

6) The best part of staying at a Universal Hotel is that your room key allows you to enter the 'fast pass' line AT ANY TIME. Love that!

Wear rubber/nylon sandals - you will get wet. Sunscreen Sunscreen Sunscreen. Apply it often. Wear swim trunks. (wear them for a whole day before to make sure they dont chafe - get them wet for a 'transparency' test) Get more than one swimsuit.

Get a large fanny pack and place the following in it:
small camera
mini-sunscreen
mini-umbrella
disposable poncho
wallet
cell-phone
your car key (take it off the keychain and leave those in the car)
attraction passes
you will have to split some of these things with your partner, but have them all.

Have a good time.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Yeah, the Swan and Dolphin are right next to Yacht & Beach Club, as well as the Boardwalk. Another great thing about Boardwalk...even though Pleasure Island gets all the mentions in terms of adult nightclubs, Boardwalk has the Atlantic Dance Hall...no cover charge and great music the two times I was there.

As for Priceline, I learned a lot from Bidding for Travel, which does a good job breaking down how hotels are rated by Priceline, providing great assistance in deciding what level of accomodations to bid for. (Priceline DOES NOT provide their hotel rating information to consumers.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Eric, I don't know when you last went to The Magic Kingdom but Tommorowland was 'updated' about 10 years ago, when they added Alien Encounter and The Timekeeper. Now it's kind of 'Jules Verne' Tomorrowland.

And please don't make the mistake of going to Disney and expecting roller coasters and big rides. If you want that you can go to the Universal parks. Disney World, and the Magic Kingdom in particular, is a more laid back, atmospheric experience. 3/4 of a day at Epcot? No way! It would take 2 days to do everything there, IMO. Lots of good food.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Good food, OHHH YEAHHH! The food and Wine festival runs during October and I would highly suggest spending a night in the World Showcase if you are there then. Pretty much every country has food carts out front with sample and larger sizes of beer, wine and food from the respective country. Lots of locals come out and it is really fun to drink you way around.

Personally, I never have a problem with the Disney bus system but the monorails are more convenient (of course they don't go everywhere either). And since you are going to Port Orleans, you should take a look at the layout and locations of the bus stops and the direction the bus goes. If the buses are running a little crowded, you can walk a little further to the first stop on the loop to make sure you get on or get a seat.

Also, a good tip is to find out when the early opening days are and either go to that park at the early opening time or go somewhere else while everyone else fights the crowds at the early open park. Plus, all the parks open at least 30 minutes before their advertised times, usually before that unless there is some last minute show-stopping issue that has to be taken care of.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Have to say my day spent at Epcot left me underwhelmed. Future World seemed seriously out of date (the displays at our local science museums are more current) and the World Showcase was far too kitschy for my taste. We got there when the park opened and had done everything before 7 pm. I'm not sure how anyone would need more than a day there.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Since you will be doing a LOT of walking, wear very comfortable shoes that have already been broken in, and apply some powder to prevent chaffing. ;)

RussR

Stunt Coordinator
OK, here's another suggestion for an evening. In October, the parks (except for EPCOT) are usually closed by 7PM. You might want to head over to Boardwalk one evening and walk around. It's a good opportunity to have a look at a couple of resorts (Yacht and Beach Club in addition to the Boardwalk resort). There are a couple of good restaurants. Save your walk over to Yacht and Beach until after dinner and have some dessert at Beaches and Cream.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
The Boardwak area rocks. We stayed there on our honeymoon. You could eat at a different restaurant every night around that little lake. The Flying Fish is excellent also, try the Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Yacht Club.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I don't know if you will have issues with long lines in October, but if you do, here is a tip for the Magic Kingdom.

If you find that during the day, the wait is too long at some rides at the Magic Kingdom, plan to ride those rides at night during the parade. While everyone is watching the parade, you can literally walk on any ride you want with absolutely no wait. I did this in the middle the busy Summer season and it worked like a charm.

But be sure to catch the parade at the Magic Kingdom one of the nights you are there. It's fantastic.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Another MK tip. Make sure to ride the Jungle Cruise at night. The cast members get much more campy and funny after dark and you will get twice the ride that the day people get.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I booked yesterday a trip for the fiance' and myself to WDW based on this thread.

We are staying at the Contemporary Resort for 5 nights in October. I was torn on what hotel to pick, but the cost and location of Contemporary made it attractive to a guy who also has to pay for a honeymoon in St. Lucia in March.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks