Help me decide. HK AVR-520 vs. Newcastle R-756

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronnie Ferrell, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

Ok, I know there are 100's of these post everyday, but you guys are the greatest when it comes to opinions! [​IMG]
    Anyway I can get a HK AVR-520 or a Newcastle R-756 for the same price. Which should I get.
    Here is some helpful info:
    This is my first HT receiver. $500 is my budget. 2-channel music listening is very important too me. 5.1 surround is good enough for me, but I know the HK has more option than the Newcastle. The music to HT ratio is at least 50/50 and maybe up to 75% music to 25% HT. (Not really sure how this will pan out. Right now music is more important, but as stated, this is my first HT receiver and that ratio might change when I get hooked!) I have a pair of GR-research A/V-1s and will be building 3 more to go with the HT receiver. I also have a sealed 122L tempest powered by the PE 250w plate amp. I listen to classical, jazz, little girl with a guitar music, 80's, grunge, etc...
    If you need any more info, let me know.
    Any advise will be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Ronnie Ferrell

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hi Ronnie,

My personal preference would be for the H/K. The 520 is the last of the 5 series to come equipped with Main Ins. As you get further into HT, you just may like the added perk of buying a 5 channel amp as well as a quality receiver in one package.

3. Ronnie Ferrell

The amp inputs do open the door for an ICBM later on...

rf

4. Ronnie Ferrell

Well after reading more post here, and swinging by Circuit City on the way home from work, I pulled the trigger this morning and ordered the Harman Kardon AVR-520 from www.onecall.com. I could not pass it up! After using the $20 promo code the total with FedEx economy shipping was $514.80.
    X-mas is coming this Friday for me!!!
    I just love and hate this forum all at the same time! [​IMG]
    Ronnie

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Enjoy! And Happy Holidays.

6. rick_perez

rick_perez Auditioning

i'm also the proud new owner of a HK 520 from onecall. I got mine shipped the friday after thanksgiving. what a treat and a great price too.

I'm just starting to enjoy it.

good luck

7. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

Ronnie - how are you liking the sealed Tempest? That is going to be my project over the Xmas break. I am building the exact same model. I was going to build it passive and use my old Pioneer stereo amp to power it. However, if I get the 520 then I will use the Pioneer stereo to either (1) power the rear surrounds or (2) power another room. How does the plate amp from PE work? Its on sale for < $120 right now!!

Mind if I email you with questions as the build process ensues?

8. Ronnie Ferrell

Mark-
    I love my 122L sealed tempest! The Parts Express plate amp is plenty power for it. I had some boomyness issues but it is all room induced. I have a real funky shaped bonus room acoustically. I built some bass traps and acoustical panels and it helped the boomyness a lot! Again, the boomyness I have is not the subs fault.
    I have a bazillion pictures of the build process at this link:
    Build Process of my 122L Tempest
    The first picture is a CAD drawing I did to show how I will finish it out in the Spring.
    Here are some pictures of the Tube Bass Traps I built:
    Bass Traps
    They are ASC clones Jon Risch came up with. Here are the plans:
    Jon Risch's Acoustical Treatment Page
    Mark, you or anyone else are more than welcome to email me with question at anytime! I can't guarantee I will have the answer, but I don't have a problem with saying "I don't know". [​IMG]
    FYI: I got my HK-520 yesterday. last night was my offices x-mas party and tonight I have to go see a friend of mine who is in a band, play. It will be Saturday before I can play around with the 520. Its killing me!!! [​IMG]
    Ronnie