What's new

Help choosing a receiver: Panny HE200, HK 320, Pioneer 811 (1 Viewer)

Jaimin

Stunt Coordinator
All three of these receivers are now in my price range, but I am having a tough time deciding what to get.

Pioneer VSX-d811s ($299):
It has all the newest technology and is a $100 cheaper than the other two. 6 channels of amplification. However I have heard its music quality is much less than the others.

Panansonic SA-HE200 (~$350-$370):
Again, has all the newest technology also 6 channels of amplification. Looks sweet in aluminum. Better sounding than the Pioneer, but I dunno how it fares against the HK.

Harman Kardon AVR-320 ($399):
Everything but DD EX and only 5 channels of amplification. However it has Logic 7 and sounds great. Great quality and a proven receiver. Plus it has pre-outs.

Its really more of a choice between the HK and Panny. The only thing that holds me back from the Panny is that the HK is so well known. Please give me you opinions on these units. Thanks.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You really shouldn't dismiss the 811S. It's a great receiver, especially at the $300 price point. The musicality issues can be solved by enabling the loudness option.

If you like the 811S, but still want something w/ better 2ch performance, you should also look at the Denon 1803.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jaimin:

Among the 3 you listed, the H/K is your best choice. I agree with Stephen's suggestion about the Denon 1803: it's a 6-channel unit with all major decoding formats.

So, if you need 6 channels, grab a Denon 1803. If not, the H/K 320 is the way to go. Panasonic? Pioneer? Not in the same league, if you ask me.

--AM

StevenK

Second Unit
If you want features for movies, go with the Panny or Pioneer.

If you want music, go with the H/K. Beware of the dreaded shutdown problem though.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I agree with Angelo. I would add: If you don't need the pre-outs or 6.1, get the HK225 and save a little. It has the same power rating as the 320. Look into the Denon for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks