What's new

Heckuva day for Philadelphia sports fanatics! (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The Eagles beat the Buccaneers in the playoffs.!

The Flyers beat up on Lindros and his Rangers!

Temple U. (my alma mater!) beats URI!

Even the Phantoms won!

Woohoo!!

(One nasty traffic day though!!)

Thanks you all for letting me rave joyously...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
how about the motor crosse evnt did we win that too??

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
First of all, Lindros is a loser. He's not worth the bandwidth to discuss the vengeance Philly fans have towards him. Secondly, how could Tampa Bay win? It was cold! Thirdly, how far does anyone really think the Eagles are going to go in the playoffs? The Eagles are delaying the inevitable. Wait until the Eagles play the 49'ers or Rams. That's when we can really talk Eagles football, but that's also when the Eagles will lose. ;)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Wait until the Eagles play the 49'ers or Rams. That's when we can really talk Eagles football, but that's also when the Eagles will lose.
Well, the 49ers just got the boot. And the Rams? We had them beat in a regular season game before some ridiculous bullshit went down. The Rams don't scare me.

Defense wins playoff games. Eagles have a phenomenal D.

We'll talk next week!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The Eagles are delaying the inevitable. Wait until the Eagles play the 49'ers or Rams. That's when we can really talk Eagles football, but that's also when the Eagles will lose.
Funny you don't mention the Bears there... :) The Eagles match up quite well with the Rams IMO. Marshall Faulk can be trouble, but the Birds have arguably the best defensive secondary in football, which is what you beat the Rams with. Also, the Rams have trouble with special teams, an area where the Eagles are fairly strong. Though Mitchell is past his prime, he still is the best return man in the history of the league and a sure first round hall-of-famer, and he doesn't make mistakes. I'm more worried about the Bears than the Rams.

Bryan K

Auditioning
The Eagles are a mediocre team at best. Led by a QB that you dont know which guy will show up on game day - the one that throws at the receivers feet or like the one on saturday. The Eagles better play alot better against the Bears then they did against the Bucs. Tampa did not even show up for the game (did you hear Keshawn after the game!). There is no way the Eagles will be able to run against the Bears like they did against the Bucs (especially McNab).
The only thing hurting the Bears right now is that they have 2 weeks off and their momentum level is most likely down. They finished the season on a high and now have to wait; thats got to be tough.
If the Eagles bring their best game and so do the Bears, the Eagles are going home. BEARS RULE!;) ;) ;) :)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
All I can say, is that every team is lucky my Bengals decided to take it easy on the NFL, and wait until next year to make their historic run of consecutive Superbowl victories.:D

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The only thing hurting the Bears right now is that they have 2 weeks off and their momentum level is most likely down.
Sounds like you got your "how'd we lose?" speech already prepared. :D
Welcome to the HTF, Bryan. It IS possible to support your team without denigrating the opponent, you know. Plus, you're in DOYLESTOWN!! That's about 15 minutes from Philadelphia!! Unless you were born in Chicago, I can't imagine how you'd be rooting for the Bears this weekend!
Go Eagles.

Bryan K

Auditioning
I would try to pick apart your thread like you did mine, but I dont know how;) So i'll just start from the top-
Like you said...the Eagles division is week. Winning it is not that difficult of a task. They have 5 pro bowlers...wow, how many did the Bucs have. it doesnt mean much when you dont know from week to week how they are going to perform.
Yes Mcnab is young. But he is not one of the top QB's in the league; yet. He does have the potential to be good; but we are talking about now and in the playoffs I would not want a young QB like McNab. He can scramble, and I like to think he has the ability of a Cunningham, but he hardly ever does it. (When he does he has been effective). He wont be able to do it against the Bears. Urlacher will eat him up. He really isnt that great of a pocket QB - he gets very flustered (much due to his inexperience). But calling him great and one of the best in the league..please, no way.
Yes, I watched the game. What I meant by "play better" was that the Bucs wernt putting up much of a battle and it wasnt difficult for the Eagles to win. Brad J. bascially threw the ball to the eagles all day. If the eagles want to beat the Bears (and I mean the bears of the last half of the season) the better play better.
No I dont have my loss speech already, I am just being truthful. It has got to be tough on them to sit and wait for two weeks.
No I wanst born in chicago but lived there for many years (and I guess living across the street from Mike Ditka helped a little:D - have a alot of cool stories if you would like to hear). Chicago has been my team of choice for ever. The Eagles just upset me to much. It is great to see them both playing against eachother. Lets hope there is no fog this time!
Thanks for the welcome and I would love to debate more when I get home!

brianacook

Stunt Coordinator
bryan,

you talk about the birds' pro bowlers and say "it doesnt mean much when you dont know from week to week how they are going to perform". the players that got selected to the pro bowl have performed week in and week out. if you can give a specific example of a game where dawkins, vincent, douglas, trotter or akers didn't perform, feel free. i know you can't.

as for mcnabb (2 b's), to say that "he can scramble, and I like to think he has the ability of a Cunningham"! ouch! randall cunningham, as much as i loved the guy when he was here, isn't even in the same league as mcnabb as far as quarterbacking goes. donovan is not a scrambler. when he has to, he does it quite effectively, but he has established himself as a pocket qb. i have never seen a qb with as little experience as he has perform like he does on the field. have you noticed (i'm sure scott has!) that almost every time he calls an audible, it is an excellent call. that is an on-field presence of mind that no quarterback of his age should yet possess.

the bears game will not be easy, nor will any game after that (hopefully).

brian

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I should have mentioned the Bears when I said the Eagles were delaying the inevitable. That was a simple oversight on my part. No doubt, the Bears will beat the Eagles. The Bears are at home and are playing great football. The Eagles will lose.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Bryan, I completely understand where you're coming from. I lived in Philly for years and that's why I'm an Eagles fan in Redskins country (though I'm a Redskins fan, too!).
The Eagles have the best defensive backfield in the entire NFL. They can impair anybody's passing game.
McNabb has the potential to be one of the premier quarterbacks in theleague. Yes, he does have problems in some situations, such as when LaVar Arrington is on the other side of the football. ;) However, the guy has 25 TDs and 12 INTs this year. He makes few dumb mistakes.
That's the most important aspect of the game in all positions, not making mistakes. It's also the Eagles strength. They don't make mistakes often. You don't see Mitchell flubbing kicks or the defensive backfield giving up many big plays because of blown coverage.
What the Eagles need is a running game (whether this requires an explosive RB or a better offensive line I'm not sure - Duce and Bruckhalter are no slouches), a #1 receiver (Thrash is a great #2 and Pinkston is a fine #3 guy IMO) and a little more experience for McNabb to be serious contenders. Win or lose, I think that this weekend McNabb will get the more experience in big games that he needs. I hope that Lurie and the GMs can get the personnel in over the offseason.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
First of all, Lindros is a loser. He's not worth the bandwidth to discuss the vengeance Philly fans have towards him.
well very good point:rolleyes:i don't know why you think he is a loser . he has had an unfortunate fate of being cuncusion prone. he was certainly the most talented player to ever wear the flyers jersey. i don't know who has such vengeance towards him. so don't speak for all PHILLY FANS.
. and clarke was as much to blame as anyone else for anything that happened between them. lindros came back against the devils 2 years ago and was the best player on the ice after not playing for months and almost single handedly beat the devils. .what did lindros ever do to garner such vengeance besides get a serious head injury.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm.... There was claiming the medical staff was incompetent and basically saying they tried to kill him.
There was the holdout where he felt HE could dictate which teams he wanted to play for.
There was not signing the qualifying offer, preferring to wait as long as four years to become a free agent rather than play again for the Flyers.
There's the fact that Lindros was not the most talented player to ever wear a Flyers jersey. He COULD HAVE BEEN. He rarely ever was.
There's the fact that his clueless father/agent has strong-armed too many people and damaged his son's career.
Plus he was never really a leader, never took the team on his shoulders, was more likely to point fingers than accept blame, and after 5 concussions (and subsequent returns) NEVER LEARNED how to skate with his HEAD UP so he wouldn't get splattered by an opportunistic goon.
Plus, he's on the Rangers now, so I have to hate him. :D
I never claimed to speak for all Flyers fan, and it feels pointless to even mention this as I never CLAIMED to speak for anyone other than my own opinionated self. I respect your difference of opinion and your loyalty to a guy you think was unjustly vilified.
Me? I can't stand him. (And I'm saying "I can't stand him!" Not "I wish he were dead!" This is sports! It's fun!)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
sorry scott i wasn't referring to you it was keith who said that lindros is a loser.
i don't think once you could tell lindros wasn't the leader type the issue should lindros ever should have been made to be a leader type. i compare him to mike schmidt who is my favorite person in all of sports. he was never a leader on the field and he is in the hall of fame. i don't think lindros will ever be in the hall of fame unless he doesn't get hurt again.
a few years ago clarke challenged lindros to step up to the plate and he responded by having his best season ever.what did clarke do to respond. nothing he went out and got a bargain baesment goalie when he had a chance to get a real one instaed curtis joseph. he had a chance to trade rod brind'amour for brendan shanahan and didn't. how ironic that detroit immediatley won 2 stanley cups.one against an overmatched flyers.
if clarke would have picked up a player like brashear when lindros was coming into his own maybe lindros never would have benn getting broadsided the way he was. no doubt lindros should have his head up but if other players thought a brashear would be out there would he have been clobbered that way?
lindros was a grat player but he was expected to do it all by himself he never had a great supporting cast. he really only was a great player with a bunch of average and a little better then average teamates.
my best memory will always be when he won the MVP award and said it was for the flyers fans and they would get it done for them.
scott i appreciate you making your points with some good statements rather then just saying "lindros is a loser all philly fans have vengeance towards him."
:)

brianacook

Stunt Coordinator
philip,

i think the eagles already have their #1 receiver in freddie mitchell, although he is still a year or two away from being a true impact player.

the man has great hands, but he needs to get a few more thrown his way this saturday!!

brian

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Right, I didn't think Freddie Mitchell. If he's going to be a star when he develops, give he, Thrash, and Pinkston a year or so to develop with McNabb at QB we're looking at a potential Dynasty in Philly.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eagles 33, Bears 17. Yes, my crow is tasting mighty good right about now. ;) Great win by the Eagles today. I certainly didn't think they could do it. However, I don't think they will beat the winner of the Rams-Packers match-up. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks