What's new

Heat Versus The Usual Suspects (1 Viewer)

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Ok guys, between these two heist movies which one do you consider to be superior. I love both these films and personally find it pretty hard to make a choice but I still want to hear what you guys think about them. So come on guys make a choice and tell me why. :D

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I also prefer Heat. You just can't beat DeNiro and Pacino trying to outmaneuver each other. The way the film explores the parallels and differences between the lives of the two men is very compelling, refusing to equivocate the two like a lesser movie would, but also making both sympathetic to the viewer. It has several extremely memorable scenes and holds up well to multiple viewings.

The Usual Suspects' surprise ending does make it more enjoyable on the second viewing, but it doesn't have as much to keep me coming back. I've seen the movie twice, several years ago, and what I remember most is the holdup of the armored car, which isn't as good as Heat's armored car robbery, and the flashbacks of Kaiser Soze. There's little else I remember. Spacey and Byrne also don't have the charisma as screen presence of DeNiro and Pacino. Still an excellent movie, I will be picking up the special edition DVD soon. But it can't beat the Heat.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
I would go with Heat, that shootout in the middle of downtown is one of the best shootouts ever. IMHO of course.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I much prefer Heat, which did a better job fleshing out the characters. It also avoided pitfalls which could have easily brought it down to just another movie. The bank robbery would have been the end of most movies, but Heat continues on from that point telling us more about the characters.

The Usual Suspects is a good film, but closer to a one-trick pony. It is clever and well done but as I said, I prefer Heat.

Wes C

Supporting Actor
I also prefer heat. I thought most people would be saying the opposite though.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'll be the lone dissenter here and say that Heat sucks. I don't really get why people get excited about it. Just a lot of people acting stupid because the script says so.

As for The Usual Suspects, I still love it. Great dialog, great characters.

Jason

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
As a heist movie I think Heat is a better movie but I like The Usual Suspects more(much better dialoge that keeps my ear).

Heat has the Armored car scene, the bank job, and the Platinum job(somewhat) but The Usual Suspects mainly just has the "Taxi Cab Service" and the other Redfoot deal. Not nearly as good as the 2 heist in Heat.

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
I really like both movies but I think I prefer The Usual Suspects. Especially after watching it with the commentary and finally realizing why every viewing after my first one seemed a little different. I never payed attention to the little hints that were sprinkled through the movie, or I didn't think I did. But just watching it and realizing all the thought that was put into bringing about the ending and making it still seem logical upon repeat viewings just makes it stand out in my eyes. Plus like someone already said I prefer the dialogue in the Usual Suspects more. Even during the slow parts (which both films have, although these parts are still intriguing in both films) I still enjoy the film just because the dialogue is so snappy, funny, and just plain clever in some instances. This makes The Usual Suspects more rewatchable in my eyes since I'm less likely to get bored when it gets into some of the exposition scenes that I basically know by heart since the dialogue is so fun.

Heat is a great movie and has better heist scenes (That bank shootout just owns ass) but some parts of the end just rub me the wrong way. Like the whole thing with Val Kilmer's character's escape at the end. If you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about. That whole the cops not knowing who he was despite his crew being under heavy surveillance through nearly the whole film just seemed kinda silly to me. Plus the fact that Pacino's character just knew where Deniro's character was despite the noise and darkness of the airport runway area kinda seemed a little unrealistic to me. As smart as Deniro's character is I don't think he would have been caught that easily. I think he would have found some way to escape without being detected or at least avoid the gunfight. After all, this is the guy who lost like 2 cars with air support who were trailing him.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I liked Heat better but there are very different kinds of films. Just curious - why are you comparing them? Not that it's bad to compare, just curious.

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Don't really have a reason, just wanted to get people's opinions on a bunch of films that I thought were kinda similar. The degree of similarity might differ for some people but I just wanted to get people's thoughts on a bunch of movies I love.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
HEAT by a wide margin. Sorry but I don't understand the appeal of the Usual Suspects.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
Almost apples and oranges to me. Truly enjoyed them both but I think in the end, Heat wins out for me as the better of the two.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
The films are so different that it's like comparing apples and oranges. They do have a connection, however: Al Pacino was offered the Chazz Palimenteri role, but turned it down as he was already committed to Heat, and didn't want to play two cops in a row.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Like Justin said, "Heat is a masterpiece". Even a masterpice can have some flaws.

Duane, I love how you described the problems with "Heat".

Heat is a great movie and has better heist scenes (That bank shootout just owns ass) but some parts of the end just rub me the wrong way. Like the whole thing with Val Kilmer's character's escape at the end. If you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about. That whole the cops not knowing who he was despite his crew being under heavy surveillance through nearly the whole film just seemed kinda silly to me. Plus the fact that Pacino's character just knew where Deniro's character was despite the noise and darkness of the airport runway area kinda seemed a little unrealistic to me. As smart as Deniro's character is I don't think he would have been caught that easily. I think he would have found some way to escape without being detected or at least avoid the gunfight. After all, this is the guy who lost like 2 cars with air support who were trailing him.
I haved argued the "Chris escape" and the "crappy way Neil was killed at the airport" with other Heat fans for a long time. They are the only negatives to an otherwise perfect movie.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
. I think he would have found some way to escape without being detected or at least avoid the gunfight.
just to answer that, i don't think he would have even gone to the hotel. he knew the risks, and as the professional he is (was) he would have walked. he could have always come back later when things cooled down. it wouldn't have been worth it to take the chance of getting caught. oh well, guess the movie had to have closure.

oh yeah...heat is one of my all-time faves. the "feel" of the movie cannot be beat.

i haven't seen usual suspects in quite some time so i may have to give it another view.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks