What's new

HDTV newbie...some qustions (1 Viewer)

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine is looking to buy an HDTV for about $800-$1,000. What does he need to look for in these televisions. I know that some of these tvs need an additional tuner and what not, so can he buy one all in one package that is ready to use with an HDTV broadcast (some football games)and that would look good with a progressive scan DVD player?

Basically i need to know what to look for to help him make his purchase.
Thanks.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m not aware of any HDTVs including an ATSC tuner that are in the $1,000 neighborhood.

I think that the Samsung 27” 4:3 HD is around $800 (maybe $700) and you could probably pick up a discontinued HD tuner for $300 or so—but your friend might be disappointed with a 16:9 picture in a 27”, 4:3 set.

The least expensive display that I have seen and would recommend is another Samsung—their 30”, 16:9 set. I’m not sure how much that costs now, but it is probably just a bit over the $1,000 figure. Your friend would still need an external tuner for HD, of course.

As a suggeston, before he gets a tuner, he should decide how he is going to get his signals. For example if his cable company has HD, they will supply the box and he won’t need another tuner (assuming that the cable company also has local HD stations—most do not).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm not sure getting a hdtv with a built-in tuner is a good idea anyway? i've read something about the official standard still not set in stone yet - leaving the possibility that the onboard tuner could become obsolete???

lew - if you're reading this, i hit you up in a/v sources about the samsung 931 dvd player....did you ever get it?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Nope--I just replied over there.

I would not worry about an onboard tuner. There are 18 ATSC standards and as long as the tuner decodes them all (which is the norm for external tuners), you will be set.

What you lose is the ability to upgrade to a better tuner. This may make no difference now, but there is a very big difference between the ones being produced now and the models of a couple of years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks