What's new

HDCD decoding on HK525, can't get it working (1 Viewer)

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Pioneer 563-A hooked up to the HK525 via optical, and I can't get it to display HDCD in the display no matter what I try (with the only HDCD I own, Tool: Lateralus). I know it only works in Surround off mode, and have tried tying the Optical 1 input to both DVD or CD incase it only does the decoding in a specific mode, but no dice. I've also switched the "Linear PCM Out" to "Down Sample off" in the 563-A menu - also no dice.

Any ideas? =/

Thanks,
Phil Levy

altan

Stunt Coordinator
I have an old Sony DVD player (ES from back in 1992 --- still working like a charm!). It is connected via toslink/optical to the 525. The 525 seems to magically go into HDCD mode when a HDCD is played.

I didn't have to adjust anything. I know this isn't helpful, except maybe to say "it should be easy".

Best of luck.

... Altan

altan

Stunt Coordinator
John... no, I was an early adopter. :)

Yes... my goof. When I say DVD you need to replace it with CD.

... Altan

RandallC

Auditioning
I don't believe it needs to support HDCD. My old Sony SVP-S530D (1997?) doesn't have support for HDCD, but it fed the signal through to my hk520 just fine via coaxial spdif. Basically you want stereo mode, and digital input. Your setup sounds fine, so I would suggest you experiment at this stage. If you have a friend with a different dvd player, ask to borrow it for a day or two and try that machine. Also, try buying a different HDCD and see whether or not that changes anything. You might have an earlier non-hdcd print of your cd, I dunno.

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
What I'm thinking now is it might be some sort of a receiver display problem. Apparently the pottom line of hte receiver display is supposed to be syaing "PCM HDCD" but mine never changes from "Surround Off". Is there something I need to press to cycle what appears on the display?

I thought it might be an earlier non HD print of the CD, but the HDCD logo is on the outside of the case. Still, stranger things have happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks