What's new

Hd Reception ? Problems - Ota (1 Viewer)

Grant O

Auditioning
I hope someone can help me - Toshiba Tech Support sure can't.

I've got a brand new Tosh 34HF81 HDTV, and the DST 3000 HD tuner to go with it. I've got an antenna in the attic that I've used for years with no problems.

The first time I hooked it all up, I got all the local stations that are offered. However, after a while, I started to notice how certain parts of the picture would briefly freeze up or slew sideways a little, and then maybe the whole picture might freeze (for a second or two). The audio seemed to skip independently of the video, ie, the audio would skip with good video, then the video pixels would slew and freeze, then both would freeze together, then it'd be fine, then something else would freeze up. This seems to happen mostly on ABC, but I've occasionally noticed it on other channels as well.

Tosh had no idea over the phone, and offered to switch it out. (I took them up on it because of a separate problem that got fixed.) The new one still does it. When I pulled #2 out of the box, at first a Search didn't find the 2 local ABC broadcasts. Now it has it, but there's a lot of freezing up on it.

Lastly, I notice when the camera is panning across a graphic-intense frame (like the inside of a cathedral), the picture seems to "freeze-frame" so quickly that it's almost imperceptible - almost. It's ends up being so irritating you can't watch the program.

I'm using the component cables that came with the DST. I'll try better cables, but I don't think that's it because other stations come in fine.

Anybody run into this problem? From the last month or so it doesn't look like it....

Grant

Wocka Wocka Wockaa!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
How's your reception strength? YOu may need an amplifier for your antenna. If your HD broadcast is using a variable bitrate, it needs more bits for pans than for a standard static picture. Failure to recieve the full data stream is consistant with your symptoms

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
This is not a problem from your cables. It might be a problem with the signal strength from your antenna, and you should check that and see if you can increase it. But, a lot of people are also having problems with the DST-3000. You should go to www.AVSForum.com to the HD Hardware forum where there are lots of people describing problems they're having with that unit.
SMK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks