Poor OTA Reception w/ DST-3000, Great with Samsung

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Eric_Connelly, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

Nov 25, 1999
    I replaced my Samsung OTA HD reciever(for sale btw) with a Toshiba DST-3000 HD DTV receiver.

With my Samsung and Terk antenna it worked great, no problems, got most of my channels and I'm at the edge of the reception area.

With the Toshiba when I first hooked it up I flipped through the HD channels and most of them came in, bit choppy but they came in.

Today nothing, not a single signal on any HD channel, analogs come in fine and I get 5-6 percent signal strength on the digital channels. I get enough signal for it to identify the channel and all that, and once in a great while I'll get a still.

Hook it back upto the Samsung and all is fine.

Any idea's?

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Apr 15, 1999
    That Toshiba is a rebadged Hughes E-86, one of the worst ota digital receivers ever foisted on the American public, imho.

I had one for 2 years, replaced with an actual E-86 under DirecTv's protection plan. Neither one got local digital worth a damn.

Basically these boxes overheat and fry their ota digital tuning sections no matter how well ventilated they are. Some have had some success using a computer cooling fan, but they still have severe problems with multipath. The DirecTv part usually survives a lot longer. If you bought that Toshiba used, chances are the local ota digital tuner was already fried when you got it.

If you want ota reception, keep that Samsung and use it with a component video switching device, or dump the Tosh and get a newer Samsung or preferably LG mfg (LG, Zenith, Sony) DirecTV HD box.