What's new

having problems installing toilet (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I've installed a toilet before but this time I'm having lots of trouble and kind figure out why. I took it up to lay down a new tile floor after removing the carpet. After the floor was done I bought a flange riser kit which has two spacers for making the flange taller.

The first time I tried it with one and snugged the bolts down tight; it was okay until I put the tank on and then the front of the base came off the ground. Then I tried it with two spacers but didn't tighten the bolts right away. Instead I put the tank on first and let the weight push down on the wax instead of putting pressure on the bolts. The same thing happened. The front won't stay down.

I've retried both single and double spacers again but sat on it while slowly putting pressure on the bolts. I also used a generous amount of plumbing putty around the edge. It stayed down for a while but then came up a bit. I sat on it again and snugged the nuts down a bit more and here I am screaming at the toilet and typing for help. What causes this? I put a straigh edge on the floor and it seems straight and level.

jeremy

And how much putty should I leave when I scrape off the excess? Should it still be visible?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Place some wood shims under the rear of the toilet. If you have pulled the bowl again, be sure to use a new wax ring. The little "rocks" are common and shims are the easy cure.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The toilet will rock to the back because of the weight of the tank. Donny's correct. Replace the wax if you're pulled it, then shim the back and tighten the bolts.

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I left the bolts as is and then stuck a paint stir stick under the back and the problem is now minimal. I guess I should find something a little thicker and then snug up the bolts a bit?

jeremy

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Once your toilet is installed. Place a generous amount of grout or plaster of paris around the perimeter of the toilet base (leave the shims in-place). Once dry, remove the shims and fill the holes. This will give you a solid base for the toilet.
Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks