What's new

Has anyone used MemTurbo? (1 Viewer)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I'm really getting fed up with Microsoft's garbage.

Both of my Windows 2000 systems have 512 MB. So, running out of memory is not an issue. Even when doing MPEG-2 encoding on the one system, the most that gets used is around 320-330 MB.

However, I'm beyond fed up with Windows telling me that it needs to increase my swap space even when Task Manager shows that only 200 or so of that 512 MB RAM is being used. Swap space is there for when the system runs out of memory, or at least that's the way it's supposed to be.

Has anyone used the supposedly-award-winning MemTurbo? If so, does it alleviate this swap space stupidity? Does it really optimize memory usage?

Does anyone know of any other products or tweaks to stop this stupidity, besides wiping the drive clean and going straight to Solaris or Linux? :D

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
I was never impressed with MemTurbo when I installed it. I don't believe it will address your swap file issues.

Although conventional wisdom would dictate that swap space should only serve as a failsafe when the operating system runs out of physical memory, this is not the case. Many applications require the presence of a pagefile and will use it regardless of whether physical memory is available. Why not let Windows manage the virtual memory itself and resize the pagefile dynamically as needed?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
actually your swap space isn't just for when you run out of system memory, windows will load a lot of the non-essential programs into the swap space so that your ram is there for more important programs. just do like it says and up your swap space, it takes up hardrive space, I tend to use about a 1gig swap file. I know it sounds like a lot, but it can come in handy every now and then when a lot of things are running. I'd just say go a head and increase the swap file size, i can't do anything but help.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Ugh. It's all still rather stupid. I understand that some programs use the disk for "undo" functions in the event of a crash, but it's just nuts that Windows isn't smart enough (considering how Win2K is touted with having oh-so-superior memory management) to use memory even when gobs of RAM is there. No matter how they justify it, the hard drive is still hundreds of times slower than hard RAM.

Regarding the XP tweaks, XP is based on Windows 2000, not Windows 9x. In fact the link that Chad listed has tweaks that I found for Windows 2000 after I posted my rant ... er ... disappointment. :D

Hopefully, they'll have some effect.

You realize that it's not like its a major problem, but still ... it's the principle of the matter. :)

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I feel where your comming from, I own a solid gig of ram in my system and I still have to keep that large pos swap file around for just the reasons I stated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks