What's new

Harold the Salamander (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
About a month and a half ago i posted about a salamander a friend had found in her basement the day after the first snowfall here in New England. (GO PATRIOTS!! :D ) I had bought a tank and lined it with peat moss and keep it at a cool, damp 65 degrees. Well while i was buying the container the sales person at PETCO said "oh it'll probably die" I had some confidence that i could keep him alive until spring when the wild salamanders come out of hibernation. So far Harold, as we have named him, is doing quite well. He has a little burrow and comes out whenever i step up to the tank. Also I forget who mentioned it but someone said to feed it with some tweezers and that has worked perfectly thank you, sorry i don't remember who. He gets a diet of one reptomin pellet soaked in water (to soften it) an day. I just hope he will be able to make it in the wild when the time comes to release him.
oh, i'm really not sure if its male or female its just easier to think of it as one or the other.
---jay

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Harold the salamander :). I'm glad our advice helped you, although I think it was Jay that suggested the tweezers. I never used tweezers to feed mine, I just let him snap at my fingers

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to hear he's doing well! Hopefully he will look back on this as a nice winter vacation.

-Max

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Nope, wasn't me with the tweezer idea! I feed my tarantulas live crickets or superworms and except for the worms, I like to give the cricket a little chance, so I'll toss them in far from the T. so it isn't too easy for the T and makes it a bit more like the wild. It's usually fairly obvious when the T isn't hungry when it simply ignores the cricket, but when it is hungry, watch out cause they are lightning fast and that also applies to food that comes up BEHIND the T.

Good luck to Harold!

Jay

I do use tweezers to pick stuff up, like cricket legs and stuff that are leftovers... don't want them fouling up the cage now...

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Now this is the kind of thing I just love reading about.
Way to go, Jassen, for taking the time to try to rehabilitate the little guy. Give my best to Harold.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks