What's new

Harmony Remote Software - OSX (1 Viewer)

ErichH

Screenwriter
Anyone using a Harmony? How's the software?

Just ordered a 720, so I'm hopeful the interface, macro, customizing, etc is cool.

An MX700 from days past (with a B&K) was OK, but I'm excited to finally check out a Mac supported device.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I have had the Harmony 676 for about two years now. The mac version of the software is basically identical to the pc version in looks and layout. As for macros, it creates the macros automatically as you setup your device activities with only minor tweaking ability of them. The interface is pretty simple easy to use. Lot of help/info can be found Here

I also have a URC MX-1000 and without OS X software support it's future usability is looking bleak.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Thanks Daryl - I haven't had much time on the RC forum, but the AVS string is good. Strange that Logitech has zip on the 720, yet is seems to be a big hit right now.

i get the activity based macro/sequence of the Harmony, but I'll need a few for switching the audio from digital to direct for BD's and 1 or 2 for dealing with some bad audio quirks on a DTV H20. One item on the H20 is autotune - used to be 1 clic in the menu with the old receiver, now it's 4 for the same function (really stupid) kinda like windows asking `Are You Sure?' over and over.
Come to think about it, the H20 needs many sequences for bypassing the horrible interface.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Well, here recently they added a feature called sequence were you can map multiple commands to a single button (basicly a macro). The steps are in the faq of the help section. I've never tried it though.

ErichH

Screenwriter
I read the software steps you through by way of a Q&A rather than you choosing commands from various devices. Sounds OK. Guess it's part of the dummy proof style of the product. Activity based as they say.

Are you able to make your own icons and upload for any device or activity?

ErichH

Screenwriter
Just fooling with the remote today. The software is not bad.
It detected a need to download a USB driver, and did everything in auto pilot - dl, install, reboot.
I have much to add, but the basic device find and update is smooth. Learn is easy, but you have to answer a question or 2 before you get to the learn screen.

The 720 is small in my hand - very thin. Length is average (it looks long on line, but it's not)
Videos show the USB having a flip down cover, but mine is open at the top. No big deal.

Should be fun setting up more stuff via USB. The Q&A style is very different from the URC MX software, but it seems to work well. It's on a Mac - that's a BIG plus ;)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
It's pretty easy once your familiar with where all the setup/configure options are.

Bob_Chase

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the 520 and using a G4 Powerbook. My initial impressions were extremely poor. I couldn't get anything working and was ready to take it back after the first hour. I hadn't been that upset since the last time I tried doing my taxes with TurboTax.

After doing a lot of hunting for Mac support info I finally found some solid instructions for updating the firmware.

Once I did that the process of setting up the remote was relatively painless and I hadn't had to make any changes to it since last December.

Fast forward to this September and I had to make updates to accommodate my new TV and Xbox360. Logitech made some serious usability improvements to the software and I actually found it to be an enjoyable experience.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Harmony now, and would recommend it to anyone.

ErichH

Screenwriter
The only thing I can find that resembles a manual for the 720 is the more help in the software window, but it's a search with a few answers per key word. In other words, you guess.

In 2 short sessions, I'm half way through what I need, but it would be so much better if Logitech would just make a stinkin manual on the software. The Q&A gets old.

Perhaps there something written for the 880 that I don't know about? Hmm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjweav
Recent bookmarks