What's new

*** Hannibal Review -- Take a BITE Out Of This One!!! (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
hannibal.jpg

HANNIBAL

This will be a semi quick review..... I'm really a Hardware lover and rarely review discs.... Every so often I watch a dvd and feel a need to post a review...
I have only spun the first disc of this 2 disc MGM Special Edition set.... (DTS track)
MGM has taken some heat lately..... This one release doesn't redeem them, but it's a step in the right direction.... This is a truly remarkable product!!
hannibal2.jpg

Video:
This 1:85:1 Anamorphic Transfer on this dvd is simply breathtaking.... The film elements show no sign of wear. The transfer is pristine, with Razor Sharp Clarity.... I have not one bone to pick with the video portion. If you have scene the movie, you will remember there are a few dark scenes.... I was wondering how those would transfer over to dvd... Well they are fabulous, and details are kept intact...... The steamy hot backdrops of Rome will bring your Monitor Alive!! A+
Audio: The DTS track is nothing less than Marvelous.... The front Soundstage is enormous... Scored by Hanns Zimmer, the sound track just engulfs your room in Multi Channel GLORY!!! The track at times sent chills down my spine.....
LFE was used at appropriate times, never to overpowering, but placed very well.....
Surround info was used very well..... Nothing to localized in the back, but seamless panning to the rear and vice versa to the front when needed......
Center Channel Dialogue was clear, and voices were heard with ease...
I recommend this dvd with high regard to everyone on the forum..... A truly stellar product that shouldn't be passed up....
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
Send Email: [email protected]
[Edited last by Steven Simon on August 19, 2001 at 10:34 PM]

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Tuesday couldn't get here soonenough... Best Buy's ad doesn't have prices but they promise a $5 rebate if you buy Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal at the same time. I have the criterion and want the SOTL for the DD5.1 and anamorphic :)
Brian

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Steven:
I agree with you that it's a great looking and sounding DVD. But you better be a fan of the movie... Watching it last night was a difficult experience, and not because of the gore content. I just found it to be a bad film - totally unbelievable and a big disappointment after the first two films.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yes, I agree with you, Steven--an excellent transfer.
Also, hats off to Charlie de Lauzirika for an outstanding job on the supplemental material on disc 2.
DJ

Luis A

Second Unit
I saw Hannibal last night and I can't say enough about this 2 disc dvd.The video is the best I've seen on my Pioneer PRO710HD,and the DTS track is one of the best I've heard.On the fish market shootout (using my B&K REF30 hooked up to 5 M&K S150-P Active Monitors and 2 MX-350 subs)I could not get over the fidelity of the DTS mix.I also have not watched the 2nd disc yet,but plan to asap.Great job MGM I hope it's a sign of things to come.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Thanks Steven! Sounds like a winner! Mine should be here today!
biggrin.gif
(along with The Goonies!)
------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thanks, Steven.
Mine is shipped, but hasn't arrived yet, so I'm now looking forward with even more impatience!
Cees
Festival2001CLA.jpg

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Just picked this one up early at a local retailer (they were about to close, so it's really not a big deal). Very impressed, especially with the documentary's section on the special effects. My jaw is still on the floor. Excellent disc for a great price.

I'd like to add my 2 cents here. I realize this is a discussion of the technical merits of the DVD release of HANNIBAL. However, having seen the movie both in the theater and on DVD last night, I think it is worth while comparing and contrasting the two experiences.
I'm a HUGE fan of SOTL, and even more enjoyed the book HANNIBAL. As such, I was greatly looking forward to the theatrical release of HANNIBAL, but like so many, was let down greatly.
I had actually not planned to buy HANNIBAL on DVD. However, I ran across a good preorder deal which included both the SE release of SOTL (which I wanted) and HANNIBAL, so I picked it up.
I watched it last night in DTS 5.1. on my 61" HS10 with a progressive Sony 700P DVD. The contrast in experience was incredible. The transfer was absolutely stunning. One of the things I did appreciate in the threatrical release was the beautiful locations used in the film. The amazing anamorphic transfer really underscored those beautiful settings. The DTS track also created suspense and emotion where none had existed before. About half way through the movie I was stunned at how much I was enjoying a movie on my home theater that I had previously found very little merit in when seeing it on the silver screen.
In short, I cannot emphasize enough what a fantastic DVD HANNIBAL is. Admittedly, seeing the movie for the 2nd time, I wasn't comparing the differences between the book and the movie as I was the first time around, and could simply sit back and enjoy the movie on its own merits. Still, thanks to HT technology and an incredible DVD release by MGM, I watched a movie I didn't enjoy the first time, and greatly enjoyed it the 2nd time around. To me, that says a lot.
Best,
------------------
John Holbrook
MY DVD Collection

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't agree with you more John.
John Mathieson's cinematography comes to life in full force with the DVD. I was surprised at how beautiful the scenery looked. It's also worth mentioning that on the DVD, Hans Zimmer's music also involved me in a way that the theater I saw the movie in didn't.
I loved this movie when it first came out, I hadn't read the book and to this day I still haven't. I am a huge fan of SOTL but I can tell you that I wasn't expecting a sequel along the same lines. To me, Hannibal is more a sad story of unrequited love than anything.
This is a great DVD that is a worthy addition to my collection. Highly recommended.
------------------
F
frank.jpg

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I think a major problem with Hannibal and its poor reception was from the fact that people were expecting the wrong thing. They were expecting a kickass sequel that was along the same lines as the first.
I think the in depth look that the DVD takes gives us a better appreciate of the movie and what the directors intent was. With the behind the scenes footage and interviews with Ridley Scott in this DVD release, we are able to understand what he was trying to do thematically throughout the movie and the approach he was taking (i.e. a tragic love story of two people worlds apart but at the same time bound by a parallel). Having this understanding makes the film a lot more enjoyable to watch.

ErichH

Screenwriter
I think Hanibal is an amazing film - both the screenplay & the shoot .
Possibly the fact that it's Ridly & Hans helps me along , but it serves
up horror/suspense on a silver platter (or was it copper?) .
I'll always love Silence because ,at the time , it scared the poo outa
me . We've seen so much since then , the bon appetit portion doesn't
effect us the way it used to . It's the intensity this time around , and I
the only one who thinks Gary Oldman's caracter is just as creepy as
Hanibal ?
A Fan
Eric

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
An excellent package. The movie is what counts and its presentation is very good. My only real quibble is that all of the supplements are non-anamorphic and 2.0. I expected the teaser and trailer at a minimum to be anamorphic 5.1, and the 2.0 mix on the TV spots is usually more dynamic than the 2.0 mix on this trailer. This is such a minor quibble that I am almost ashamed to have brought it up, though.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
My wife and I sat down last night to watch Hannibal. We had originally saw it back in Feburary at the theater and we both loved it. We both enjoyed it even more the second time around. The DTS soundtrack was very effective and Hans Zimmer's score really added to the tension of the film.
We haven't got a chance to check out any of the extras yet but the presentation of the film itself was incredible. The image was beautiful to look at without a blemish to be seen. The soundtrack was very effective and the fish market shootout was reference material. I can't wait to check out the extra material for Hannibal. I know most people hated Hannibal but I think it is a fantastic sequel. I never read the book but I wasn't expecting another Silence of the Lambs either. Hell, I didn't want another SOTL. I'm glad it was a different film since most sequels just rehash the previous film.
IMHO, their should be a couple of Oscar nominations for this film.
-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks