What's new

H/K AVR-520 vs '525 (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
although the AVR-525 is rumored to be on the streets already, i havent seen any detailed information regarding this unit online. the only H/K dealer in my area is Circuit City, and they dont have the new models yet. with the anticipation of the '525 being released, the '520 has recently seen a significant drop in price: Onecall is advertising its sale for $550 shipped!

that being said, is the '525 worth the extra $200 plus waiting time? the only differences i can think of are two extra amp channels, DD-EX, and the lack of main-inputs. it also has a 2-line display, but that's not something to sell me on.

have there been any other changes made to this model other than these? i dont have a 7.1 capable system (yet), and the $200 difference could be spent on an ICBM to universally manage my bass (i've always wanted one of these, and the 525 doesnt give me this option since it lacks main-inputs) or even on a used 2-ch amp. my question is this: what features on the '525 warrant the extra $200? opinions??

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
:D Yhats what I have been trying to find out,I just bought a 520 at CC for $649,and also are not planning a 6.1 7.1 upgrade any time soon.,but for the extra expence I could get an external amp and run the 520 as a 6.6-7.1 ?? correct?From what I gather ,as you stated ,2 more channels and DD6.1 ES are about the only differnce.

Josey M

Agent
I have the AVR 520 and yes I want the 6.1 speaker set-up.
So you are saying that the 525 will do this and so will the 520 with an added amp.
Would it be better with seperates (AVR 520 + amp )or one unit that does all like the AVR 525 ?
I am new to all of this, any help would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Josey:emoji_thumbsup:

Eujin

Supporting Actor
what features on the '525 warrant the extra $200?
The big difference that I've heard is that the 525 will feature bass management settings for individual channels, with independent crossover settings--including the multi-channel input for SACD/DVD-A. As far as I know, this makes the 525 the most flexible receiver on the market and the bass management feature is going to be killler for people (like me) who are into SACD. I got this info off a press release that was posted in a different site, so I guess we'll have to wait and see if it actually makes it to street.

Jonathan M

Second Unit
They're useful for:

1. Bi-amping (Put an active xover between the pre-outs and the mains in)

2. Better bass management (All bass management can be set up externally via the pre-out/main-in loop)

3. You can reassign any channels to different amps (Or even use the built-in amps for amplifying a second source for a different room etc.)

The main thing is that IF you decided to add an external amp, the amps in the 520 are still useable for something else. Most receivers with pre-outs don't have mains-in, so if you decide you want external amplification, the internal amps are now wasted.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i think from my POV that if the '525 does indeed lack main-inputs, the '520 is my best option. i really dont care about the bass management since i was planning on getting an ICBM anyway, so i guess that about narrows it down to the AVR-520! thanks!

CreggD

Auditioning
Guys, am choosing between the HK and another brand,I have Paradigm Actives (40's and center) and wonder if the main in feature is important with these; as I see it with my ability to choose which amps I use via the jumpers and the fact that a theater setting to 'large' isn't a problem with the 40's this feature is a minor convenience?

Chriss M

Second Unit
the main-in feature should be important to you because you won't be using the front 3 amp channels of the reciever with the Actives. Without main-in inputs these amp channels will just go to waste. With the 520 you can use them as a seperate 3 channel power amp to power a 2nd room, surround back speakers, bass shakers, or whatever else you want.

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the HK 520 is currently available from cambridge soundworks/hifi.com for $540 shipped. They have it on closeout for $599.99 - use coupon code hifi10 for another 10% off. You can also go through ebates for another 3% off.

Cary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks