What's new

Gutting out a center for aftermarket... (1 Viewer)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I have a Yamaha NS-AC300 (2x6.5", 1x1"). There are 2 reasons why I'd like to gut it -

1) It has a metal dome tweeter - everything else I have is fabric (NHT).

2) It has a high freq attenuator dial on the input panel, and it's 'spotty'. The level rises and dips and is full of static as it turns, and I'm never happy with the amount of treble. Sounds dark compared to the mains.

So I opened it up, and I'm impressed with the build quality of the cabinet. The crossover is mounted directly to the input cup. A new (used) NHT center with the matching tweet would run me in the neighborhood of $200.

Question -

Am I nuts for thinking I can install aftermarket drivers (at least the tweeter), an input cup and crossover for less than $200??

I've been to PE and I like the looks of the last shielded Vifa tweet, looks like the NHT's.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS - I can solder....

Thanks

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
from what i have gathered by asking similar questions in this forum, your project may not be worth your time, as it would require building a custom crossover (very math-intensive). those pre-made crossovers at PartsExpress won't do it, in other words. I suppose if you are willing to buy some of that crossover building software, you could pull it off!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks