What's new

Guide: GREYSCALE CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES (1 Viewer)

Kal

Agent
Hi everyone!

I'd like to announce a new extensive guide I've put together:

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/d/d6/htf_imgcache_31638.jpeg] [/url]

Link: GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES »

Over 250 hours of research and writing have gone into this guide.

This guide came about as the do-it-yourself (DIY) crowd has been asking more and more about greyscale calibration over the years. With reliable colorimeters now under $150 USD and excellent free software like ColorHCFR available, it's a no-brainer that all DIY enthusiasts have some sort of colorimeter in their toolbox.

Countless number of calibration guides have been published prior to this one. Some of them quite good. The problem we found is that most assume that the reader already has the required equipment and knows exactly how to set it up properly. Most guides also assume that the reader has a good understanding of terms like D65, stimulus, CIE, etc. Some even provide links to highly technical documents as "required reading". Yes, many of these documents are very informative, but not everyone wants to earn a doctorate in colorimetry so that they can set their greyscale properly.

Our guide takes a step backwards and makes the assumption that the reader has absolutely no knowledge of colour calibration. In fact, this guide assumes that the reader doesn't even *know* what "greyscale calibration" is! We explain what it is, why it's important, list the tools needed, where to get them, and walk you through the process from start to finish.

I hope you find it useful.

Disclaimer: Those not comfortable with a do-it-yourself approach to calibration should consider hiring a pro instead. A professional will have years of experience, something that a guide can never give you. For those that would never consider hiring a pro or simply want to learn a bit more, this guide is for you. Whether you attempt to perform the calibration yourself or hire a professional, please consider having your display calibrated. You will be astounded by the resulting difference in picture quality.

Comments and feedback are appreciated.

Kal

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Been interested in attempting greyscale myself, perhaps this will give me the courage. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks