What's new

Great news for Jo Jo Gunne fans! (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I just discovered that the Collector's Choice label is issuing the first two Jo Jo Gunne albums (Jo Jo Gunne & Bite Down Hard) on cd this Tuesday, July 8th. As far as I know, these have never been released on cd with the exception of the Rhino Handmade compilation of a few years back, which was limited to a pressing of 2,500 copies (and now usually goes for a small fortune on eBay.)

Jo Jo Gunne was formed by original Spirit band members, Jay Ferguson and Mark Andes shortly after Spirit completed the classic Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus album. Jo Jo Gunne went on to release four albums on Asylum records, all of which had classic moments, but the first album in particular, (with Mark Andes in the lineup) is a real standout.

The debut single, "Run Run Run," received much AM and FM airplay in 1972 and still pops up occasionally on those "seventies greatest hits" compilations. Great guitars and keyboards (and later, synthesizers) along with intriguing songwriting (where else can you hear, "Shake That Fat") was the band's hallmark.

If you're a fan, I suggest you seek this out. These are being issued on a pretty small label, so my guess is once they're gone, they're probably gone for a while.

Speaking of small labels, I don't how many members here have purchased from Rhino Handmade, but you can find some great music and even greater esoterica there. It is the only place for example where you can get a copy of John Sebastian's legendary solo debut album, John B. Sebastian, on cd in it's entirety (albeit as part of 3 cd collection.) To the best of my knowledge, this important album (produced by Paul Rothchild) has never been released domestically, despite it legitimately being a "top 25" chart release in its day.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Yeah! I'd like a copy of Jo Jo Gunn. I have a copy of their first record in bad condition Thanks for the alert!:) :)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Jim, when I use your link, it goes to a page that clearly states:
This product is no longer available
and there is no way to add it to a shopping cart. It is also listed on the Out Of Print page as one of the "Titles That Have Sold Out."

As far as I can tell, the Rhino Handmade disc has been unavailable for well over a year.

Gary

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
:b

Just a few days ago Rhino emailed me that that disc was in "short supply."

So, maybe they just ran out or perhaps you were correct all along.

Sorry Gary!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Howdy Jim. No harm, no foul. Maybe the confusion comes from the fact that the second Rhino Handmade Jo Jo Gunne disc is still available, but in short supply. This disc compiles everything from the band's 3rd and 4th Asylum releases, plus a couple of bonus tracks. Perhaps this is the disc they emailed you about?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, blast from the past. I once hitchhiked with some friends a couple hundred miles to see an outdoor 4th of July concert with Jo Jo, Spirit, Brownsville Station, Black Oak Arkansas and the James Gang. I got the worst sunburn I've ever had in my life, but I also had one of the best times I've ever had. It was in the Ozarks of Missouri, and it was so pretty down there. The townspeople were really nice too. Nobody gave us guff when we needed to use the bathroom, or when we slept on the town park lawn. One of the things I remember most vividly about that whole trip was a guy selling fat lids of grass for $15.00 right outside the entrance of the venue. It was good stuff too! Those were, indeed, the days. (*what* days, I couldn't say) :D

(actually, Spirit cancelled, which upset me because THEY were the main reason I went. I had no idea Jo Jo Gunne and Spirit were related. Thanks for the information).

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I finally picked up my copy of Jo Jo Gunne and it's a blast from the past. :emoji_thumbsup: This is good rockin'! Actually, after the 12 DREAMS OF SARDONICUS, The Andes Brothers and Jay Ferguson made another Spirit album, FEEDBACK. I've always called FEEDBACK the "un-Spirit" album. Really, it is the first Jo Jo Gunne album, in reality. After, FEEDBACK, Jay and the boys gave the Spirit name back to the other Spirit members and Jay eventually returned anyway, after gunne-ing around.

This is nostalgic rock at it's best, Jo Jo's S/T. Get it and see why!:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks