What's new

Got new speakers(Advent AS2s), now need new receiver(<$250) (1 Viewer)

Brian.J

Auditioning
I just recently purchased a set of Advent AS2s for about $130 shipped. Now I am in desperate need of a new receiver. I have an old Pioneer POS receiver that I got back in '99. It says its rated 5x100 but it can't weigh more than 10lbs. Anyway, right now I only have the two advents as mains and possibly a set of Infinity Entra ones for surrounds. I think the Advents are rated for 20-200 watts so I'm looking for something in the middle. So far I'm looking at the Panasonic SA-XR50 and the Pioneer VSX-D514k. If you can think of any others that would meet my needs that would be great. The system is mainly used for movies and loud music during parties. If you need any other info lemme know.

Thank You,
Brian J :D

Brian.J

Auditioning
I just recently purchased a set of Advent AS2s for about $130 shipped. Now I am in desperate need of a new receiver. I have an old Pioneer POS receiver that I got back in '99. It says its rated 5x100 but it can't weigh more than 10lbs. Anyway, right now I only have the two advents as mains and possibly a set of Infinity Entra ones for surrounds. I think the Advents are rated for 20-200 watts so I'm looking for something in the middle. So far I'm looking at the Panasonic SA-XR50 and the Pioneer VSX-D514k. If you can think of any others that would meet my needs that would be great. The system is mainly used for movies and loud music during parties. If you need any other info lemme know.

Thank You,
Brian J :D

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Onkyo 501, Yamaha htr 5740, Denon 1604, Pioneer 814 can all be found online for under your price.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Onkyo 501, Yamaha htr 5740, Denon 1604, Pioneer 814 can all be found online for under your price.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I just sold a Pioneer elite VSX-41 but had been running it in 7.1 configuration with JBL speakers. I just bought the Panny XR50 for 240 delivered. It beats the Pioneer in every category. Slightly less power but still more than enough for me. I would take that over the Pioneer in a heartbeat!

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I just sold a Pioneer elite VSX-41 but had been running it in 7.1 configuration with JBL speakers. I just bought the Panny XR50 for 240 delivered. It beats the Pioneer in every category. Slightly less power but still more than enough for me. I would take that over the Pioneer in a heartbeat!

Brian.J

Auditioning
Well I just bought a Panasonic SA-XR10 for $171 shipped. I guess it's a lil late to be asking but, Good deal or no? :confused:

Brian.J

Auditioning
Well I just bought a Panasonic SA-XR10 for $171 shipped. I guess it's a lil late to be asking but, Good deal or no? :confused:

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I think you will be surprised with its performance. Have not heard the 10, but I would guess it will be an improvement, especially for the price. Some paid slightly less for models on closeout, but they are hard to find now.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I think you will be surprised with its performance. Have not heard the 10, but I would guess it will be an improvement, especially for the price. Some paid slightly less for models on closeout, but they are hard to find now.

Brian.J

Auditioning
Well I've had it hooked up for a few days and for the most part all I can say is "WOW." It just sounds soo much clearer than my old receiver and now I've got power for all my speakers. Of course going from something that looks like 28 gage wire to 14 gage could have something to do with it as well. ;) I only see a few problems with it and for the most part they are minor. First of all, the tuner reception on my old receiver was much better, I don't even get half the stations I used to. Second thing is that it's not quite as loud as the old receiver. Lastly, LCD is hard to see from across the room, you basically have to stand up and walk about halfway to the stereo before you can read it.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Glad to hear you like it. Mine on the other hand is crapping out. I don't get any sound from the center channel in "Party Mode" nor do I get a signal to the sub in Neo 6 with all speakers set to large. needless to say I have a new XR50 on the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks